What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nutplates

330Jock

Well Known Member
OK, this is an easy one, just couldn't find the answer! Are nutplates treated just like any other nuts with regards to 1 to 3 threads showing after installation?
Thanks

OK, this is an easy one, just couldn't find the answer! Are nutplates treated just like any other nuts with regards to 1 to 3 threads showing after installation?
Thanks

I would say yes. .you want the full strength of the nutplate by using all the threads, and one to three sticking out should guarantee that. Anything more is just added weight and wear on the threads.

Even if you use the three thread rule, the screws will be very short.... difficult to use.

Extra threads can help if the head gets snapped off, you can continue to twist it through the nut.

Depends

Screws with "all thread" typical of wheelpants and access panels are not load carrying, so after the first thread is through, the rest is just extra . if it is in a load carrying application with a "shanked" screw, the 1-3 threads is a good rule to use..any more than 3, the screw will be "shanked out" and not tightened. The nutplate is a crushed type that makes it self locking, so if the screw does not protrude to at least flush, the self locking is not fully effective. BTW 330Jock,I am also a Piedmont/Usair guy...maintenance side though. Speedbird rocks!

Just to clear this up. Reference ac 43-13. Aircraft standard practice is 1 to 3 threes protruding. Nuf said.

RD

Almost trivia for our builds but here goes:
For the actual engineering behind it, you want one full thread past the "locking feature" of the receiver. There are a lot more types of female locking fasteners than are known to most buildings. Many of the floating NPs locking features are more towards the middle of the barrel. The "one full thread" part of the rule is to ensure the male threads are past the chamfer. For ease of inspection, one full exposed thread is easy to see; hence, the many references. Anyway, anything beyond the aforementioned is useless added weight. When it affects payload to orbit (=$/launch), it gets a lot more scrutiny.

Thanks for the help guys! I love this forum!
Hi Bill E. Thanks for the greeting. I retired in May of 2020 and am hoping to have my plane done by the end of the summer. Longest time I've ever gone without flying in 45 years!

Back