What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairing Magnesium Wheels

avrojockey

Well Known Member
Patron
Cleveland/Parker manual gives the paint and stripper to be used, but no process information.

First - the recommended wheel assembly from Cleveland is a magnesium wheel. I would like to get a confirmation that indeed the standard Van's wheels are magnesium.

Second - if they are magnesium, do you need to bake them before painting? From What I understand, magnesium is porous and filiform corrosion can form if not all water is baked out of the material.

Definitely magnesium...finally found the part no (40-78B) and tested some exposed metal with white vinegar.

Still some debate on drying after stripping. It appears you can air dry if ambient humidity is dry enough, but also low heat baking is recommended.

Cleveland/Parker manual gives the paint and stripper to be used, but no process information.

First - the recommended wheel assembly from Cleveland is a magnesium wheel. I would like to get a confirmation that indeed the standard Van's wheels are magnesium.

Second - if they are magnesium, do you need to bake them before painting? From What I understand, magnesium is porous and filiform corrosion can form if not all water is baked out of the material.

Tim, Can you share the paint and primer info and the process?
Getting ready to have Allen install the sealed bearings and might be a good idea to spruce up 25 yr old wheels while they are apart. TIA

Bob...

Last couple pages of this doc list the products for stripping and paint. Stripping product is specific to magnesium.

https://www.parker.com/literature/WBtech.PDF

I know it's important to ensure the magnesium is completely dry prior to paint. Magnesium (not sure all alloys) is porous, and will filiform corrode if not dry prior to paint. Bonanza control skins are normally baked at low temp prior too paint to ensure all water is gone.

Back