What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A wiring of nav/strobes at wing root.

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Iam at the point of bringing my 4 wires from the rudder and wing tip nav lights and landing lights to the cockpit. Was thinking of installing sub D connectors under seat for 3 way connection with one set of 4 wires to panel fuses and switches. Just sizing up my panel for a CNC cut with a ICOM210. Any thoughts on the idea. Always welcomed and much appreciated your thoughts or pictures. Dynon 10" Skyview going in also.

qb9A

Ron in Oregon

Page 43 of the vertical power VPX Pro manual shows a terminal strip and how to ground led strobe shielded wire to eliminate noise while bringing together tail and wing wiring. It could be worth a look and could certainly be done with power supplied from a source other than the VPX. I am wiring mine in that manner, though I admit there may be a flaw in my thinking that has yet to reveal itself. I am but a lowly first timer.

Last edited:
I put a simple terminal strip in between the seat ribs to connect the input wires for the lights/strobes to the wings and tail.

IMG_3886-M.jpg

There are 4 pairs of wires getting distributed - power, ground, synch and shield. I'm using the Ztron Labs LED nav/strobe lights. You can see the little metal jumpers on the right column that pair up the signals into groups of 4. The strip is glued down with proseal.

Strobes

Be very careful when wiring the strobes if they have a high voltage signal such as the traditional Whelen strobes. I asked Whelen about wing root connections and their recommendation was to use the same AMP type enclosed connector as supplied with the rest of the Whelen kit, not an open type terminal strip such as is shown in bruceh's photo. LED strobes may be different in this regard, I only know about the Whelen strobes.

We ran the wires straight out to the wing tip, with a service loop at the root.:eek:
Don't plan on taking the wings off.
Decided to see how we would disconnect them when the need, if it ever does, arises.

The less connections, the less problems.

Deutsch DTM 12 pin connector

another option, like the one in the picture with orange end cap but 12 pin. I use these with a mounting base not shown.

100_5024.jpg

added picture of mounting base used for elevator trim

100_4772.jpg

100_4774.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys! that's what I needed. I like the terminal strips and the 12 pin connector Steve. Ok I got only a week to decide. And i am liking what I see. Steve thanks for the idea on the push-to-talk plug also. I Am from Cleveland originally Steve. Got my start in flying down in Tip City Ohio. Don't think i'll go back but maybe a visit some day.

Thanks all.
Ron in Oregon QB9A

Forgot to say the strobes are LED by AVEO Engineering out of Kestral air in Seattle Washington. Dave I think the service loop is a good way to go for now and cut them when ever the needs be.

Ron in Oregon

I put a simple terminal strip in between the seat ribs to connect the input wires for the lights/strobes to the wings and tail.

IMG_3886-M.jpg

There are 4 pairs of wires getting distributed - power, ground, synch and shield. I'm using the Ztron Labs LED nav/strobe lights. You can see the little metal jumpers on the right column that pair up the signals into groups of 4. The strip is glued down with proseal.

You may want to add a simple clear plastic cover to prevent FOD from arching your terminals.

Back