What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seth Baker (RV-7 Builder) Recovery Fund (Post-Mishap Medical Expenses)

rvmills

Well Known Member
Team VAF,

This is posted with the permission of DR. Posted in General for max exposure, but I can repost in the Charity section or wherever appropriate, after a little run time, if desired (thanks!).

This post is to announce an opportunity to assist an RV-7 builder and brother with medical expenses, following a mishap in an RV-6A that occurred while he was checking out a prospective buyer in Las Cruces, NM (previously discussed on VAF). Seth fractured his spine, and underwent surgery to fuse T12 and L1. He is recovering physically, but is without medical insurance, as he had just changed jobs to gain access to medical insurance for he and his daughter, but was not yet covered.

The Sport Class Air Racing Association (the class RV's race in at Reno) has gone all out in support of Seth, as many of our racers have asked how they could help. We have posted Seth's Story on our home page www.sportclass.com, and we have set up a PayPal account and placed a Donate button there to collect donations for Seth. 100% of the funds (less what PayPal charges) will go directly to Seth for medical expenses…guar-own-teed!

Seth is one of those great RV people, and a true gentleman. One of those guys that'll travel to help a friend get un-stuck (he's a heckuva mechanic) and one who'll give ya the shirt off his back. He was a tireless crew chief for Jason Rovey and his RV-8 last year, and helped many other racers out all week long. He completed PRS this year, and was to compete in his Rookie season this month. He'll be back, but has an uphill climb right now financially.

Seth would never ask for a thing, so our Sports Class Race Family has stepped up, and the SARL Family is right behind. I just wanted the VAF Family to know about our friend in need, and present the opportunity to pitch in for a buddy.

Thanks DR for the space and permission to post this. I appreciate it even more when realizing that this is a competing donation with your family's income…that is a very special gift, and I'll keep this request short term. Thank you!

Thanks to all for checking this out! Here is a picture of Seth, sporting his new body armor and glare shield head-butt mark, and a couple from happier times…which he'll get back to as soon as he can!

IMG_1106.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

Cheers,
Bob

I got $20 for that, and I'm a cheap *******. Who wants to embarrass me?

Hey Bob, where's the "Donate" button?

Found it: http://www.sportclass.com/

....then scroll down until you see Seth's picture.

Go ahead, do it. You'll feel good. Bonus: scroll down a little more, and there is a cute blond in shorts.

Last edited:
I am in. Go to the sport class dot com link and scroll to the bottom. I kept getting a can't donate zero error message until I finally pushed Done after entering the amount. Good luck with your recovery.

Thanks mucho guys! Y'all are awesome!

Thanks for reposting the link in full Dan! For all, if you click either the link in Dan's post or my post, and get to the scrolling pictures of the race planes, please scroll down below the sponsor list and the class Facebook feed, and the story and link are just below. Tested the Paypal link this am, and it appears good. If anyone has problems with it, please let me know, and I'll contact our webmaster (a fast Lancair 360 guy that contributes here on VAF as well!).

Thanks again for the generosity!!

Cheers,'Bob

Donation

Since I'll be riding my motorcycle this week instead of flying I'll put my gas money to a brother in need. Get well soon.

Just stuck $50 in the hopper. Sorry to hear that you are in this spot -- even more disappointed that all our contributions are likely to only inflict a small scratch on the bill.

Wow, thanks all!

A couple SARL pilots that donated said they received a receipt that only said Sport Class. Just to dispel any concerns, I've asked Tom McNerney, our Class Secretary and Webmaster, to set up the PayPal account to provide a tailored receipt. That should get done tonight when he gets home.

As far as funds go, everything coming in right now is for Seth...the only other items that come in via this account are the class membership dues/race number fee, and the fees for our Formation Warm-up in June (leading into PRS). Neither of those items are being collected right now, so we know all funds inbound are for Seth.

The Class is sending him a check for $1000 today, and will send the donated funds to him as they mount up. It's going to a good cause and a great guy!

Thanks again very much!

Cheers,
Bob

Done

I'll see Dans bid and raise it by the exchange rate ...

Canadian $ is dropping like a rock unfortunately.

Unfortunate story, hope a lot of good people put a little in and it makes a difference.

Blue skies

Done and confirmed by paypal.

Quick update on the receipt issue. Turns out our PP account isn't a Pro account, so we can't tailor the receipt. I apologize for that. Please do rest assured that the fund's accounting is being kept completely separate from Sport Class funds.

The generosity of VAF and SARL members has been very, very touching. Seth is a very deserving guy?its a good thing we're doin'! :) Thanks very much!

Cheers,
Bob

I just made a donation as well. Also, I placed this on my Facebook page to see if I can help generate additional income through my friends. Good luck Seth.

Bill Hempel

We have enjoyed working with Seth over the years, and he has been kind enough to bring some business our way...so in the spirit of embarrassing Dan Horton (ok...maybe also helping Seth, but embarrassing Dan is a good cause too), I decided to just give back most of the profit we made on his avionics he purchased and donate it back to this good cause - I'm sure every penny will help. Seth, if you're reading this we all wish you a speedy recovery!

Cheers,
Stein and the SteinAir gang.

I have exchanged a few emails with Seth over the last couple years about his RV7, and he was always kind enough to help me out. Now its my turn. I look forward to flying with you one day sir...heal up!

Get Better

Sorry Dan.

Put 50.00 in for you Seth.

One thing, cold beers or some of that Honey stuff for you next time I see you
All on me.

Get better soon,

BOOMER

I don't know Seth, but I do know Bob, and that is good enough for me!

It sounds like Seth was very lucky it was not worse. May he progress rapidly in recovery!! He certainly has the VAF Team pulling for him.

Fast is good...

Donation sent. Hope you have a speedy recovery and get back in the air - and that the new job works out.

Dave

Here's an update. Spoke to Seth late last week, and he is doing well and on the mend. He has done some physical therapy, and has begun working at the job he was hired for just before the mishap. He has also been up flying in his RV too. Good progress, though he's still dealing with pain. He's pleased with strength and mobility improvements. We laughed a bit when he he told me he had a lot of trouble early on, just trying to pour a glass of wine out of a big jug that was given to him as a get well present...and I said, ya know, tequila bottles are smaller and lighter! He's improved quite a bit since then!

I also told him about the Sport Class donation collection effort, and told him SARL and VAF members had really been rallying to his support. In addition to the large checks sent to Seth by both SCARA and SARL, the site was able to raise over $6,500 for Seth's medical expenses...pretty awesome, eh!! Turns out he had kind of unplugged a bit as he started the new job, so it was quite a surprise to him. He was pretty much speechless!

So nice work VAF family...you've made a big difference in the life of a fellow RVer in a time of need!

Doug, thanks again so much for the opportunity to help Seth with the reach of VAF...and for your personal donation to Seth as well...now I'm speechless! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
THANKS

Hello VAF Family-

Guys and gals. Thank You So Much for all of the posts and support. I really have been disconnected for the last couple of months and when Bob told me I needed to get on here I was absolutely Blown Away by what I saw! It is incredibly humbling. I usually feel I can write and express myself quite well but suddenly do find myself speechless and feeling I can't adequately express my thanks and gratitude. Thank You All So Very Much!

I need to single out Bob and thank him here. I truly look up to him as an aviator but take away aviation, and Bob is just an amazing human being. He has been great to not only me but the Sport Class and most recently again showed his true colors while taking point in keeping everyone informed of the condition of another aviator friend of ours who was involved in a crash last weekend. It's been a tough few months for a lot of us. Thanks Bob!

Truly humbled and so appreciative. Thanks
Seth Baker

ps One correction from Bob's last post...it was a Whiskey Jug...just couldn't let that go;)

Just ran across this thread. When I went to the link to donate I found a message that the donation was closed. Sorry I missed it. I hope enough was donated to make a real difference.

Back