What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Serial GPS Data for ELT without Garmin or Dynon???

charosenz

Well Known Member
It would be good to hear from people who use GPS devices other than Garmin or Dynon to provide serial GPS data for their ELT.

The ACK E-04 requires the serial data to be NMEA protocol and has limited BPS rate choices. (I know the GPS data is not required for the ELT.

I plan to use the Echo + SkyFyx for ADS-B Out and the Stratuz for "IN". Unfortunately the Stratux does not use NMEA, and the Skyfyx BPS is too fast, and even though the ECHO has a Serial TX it also is too high and is not NMEA protocol.

I got a tip on the slack app for stratux to use a BU-353. But before I go that route I thought I would ask for other solutions.

I can't believe I am probably going to have 3 independent GPS units!

Thanks.

Charlie

Last edited:
I had to use my 430W, as the artex would only accept Aviation and my G3X would only output NEMA.

I'm running my ACK ELT from a non-approved GX-55 output, while the Garmin transponder is running off a self-contained encoder.

It all works.

This in my Tiger....

FlightBox (Stratux) Does NMEA Out

The FlightBox ADS-B receiver that I've been selling for the past few years does NMEA out with variable baud rate. FlightBox is a fork of Stratux and has a few other features (read-only file system for better reliability, other output formats, etc.)

You would need either the FlightBox Plus (portable) or the FlightBox Pro (hard wired / mounted) and an NMEA out cable. I'm currently out of stock on the portables but that will hopefully change in the next few weeks. PM for details.

Thanks for some ideas.

I do have a message in to ACK to see what they recommend given my current set up.

It may be that the BU-353 is the simplest and cheapest options but if there are more working solutions please continue to share them here.

ACK reply

I did learn that the BR355S4 has a serial wire on it, whereas the 353 does not.

I also had heard that it might be necessary to convert the serial output on the BR355S4 to TTL (UART).

I did get a reply from ACK. They said that the serial data from the BR355S4 "Should" work just fine to supply coordinates to the ELT.

I just have not had time to wire it up yet.

If anyone else has done a set up besides DYNON or GARMIN please share what worked (or not) for you.

I will post here once I get things set up. But it may be a month or so.

Charlie

Back