What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Empennage fairing nut plates - when?

DanNiendorff

Well Known Member
I am scratching my head and need to consult the collective wisdom of those who have gone before me.....

I am working on the tailcone, installing nut plates which will be later used to attach the empennage fairing and gap fairings to the longeron.

Ref Page 10-20

1) The image and text say to rivet 5 of the 7 nut plates which attach to the longeron. These 5 nutplates will attach the gap fairing later. The two forward nut plates are not shown to be riveted. These forward two nut plates will attach the empennage fairing later. I see that the two forward nut plates are used in section 12 to install the empennage fairing - and appear to already be present.... but I don't see anywhere that those nut plates are specifically instructed to be installed. Is there a reason not to install until some later point?

2) The image shows one of the five nut plates with a single CCR-264SS-3-2 rivet. Am I correct to read this as indicating that the CCR-264SS-3-2 is an acceptable substitution rivet for the AN426AD3-4 used in all the other nut plate holes here? I don't see a reason why a cherry rivet would be used right now where there is good access.

Any insight from someone who has carried through to the empennage fairing attachment would be helpful.

-Dan

You will install the nutplates after fitting and match drilling the tail cone fairing. If you install it now, you will have a harder time match drilling.

Stay patient :)

1)
I did those nut plates, as well as the 3 on the top during section 10. When I got to sect 12, I crawled inside and backdrilled the emp fairing through all 7 nutplate screw holes. My wife was on the outside putting clecoes in as we went. I put heat shrink on the bit to help protect the threads.

2)
I put AN426 rivets in those locations.

Also backriveted the tailcone. As per Tom Martin.

RV-14 empennage fairing

Question for KV6;

I have never used a strap duplicator and am wondering if it would locate the fairing hole accurate enough to install the nutplates with dimpled holes in the skins and associated holes in horizontal and vertical ribs?

RLL,

The strap duplicator made drilling the fairings easy with the nutplates installed. Don’t see how they can help if the nutplates are not installed but it is early and my coffee loading is not yet complete.

I installed the nutplates during section 10. Purchased some fiber optic strands just a bit thicker than the screws used a tap and die set to cut threads into it the strand. Will set them up inside out to mark drill spots. Have not got to that part yet will update when I have results.

Back