What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grove Nose Wheel - Tube or Tubeless

KiloMikeCHD

I'm New Here
In searching the forums, there was a lot of chatter around 2008-2010 of converting the nose gear to Grove wheels. I have a 7A and after my 2nd flat in 250 hours I am ready to make the change. Any recent feedback on the Grove wheels? The price has doubled and I am very tempted to go tubeless though I understand that makes a field change very difficult. Before I drop almost $600 replacing my standard wheel kit on a Grove on my 7A, I thought I would get actual feedback.

Tubeless Grove or Beringer is definitely the way to go, I prefer the Beringer to the Grove for the nose wheel.
Grove mains and brakes are also my preference.
As a side note I would estimate 98% of flats are caused by low air pressure.

Like me, I think you are suffering from pinch flats caused by low air pressure. My solution is to always keep more than 40 psi in the nose wheel. The other way is to trade money for a tubeless solution.

Think you are both right

I am going to upgrade to the Beringer tubeless nose. I actually have a couple new friends who fly with me and they really struggle with pushing back the plane and often turn the nose the full 90 on accident. While funny this is more stress so I am ordering a new tow bar (FBO in another state has mine....oops). Finally on the day of incident we were at a new airport and it requires several 90 degree taxi turns to get to the runway and I will admit I did not take the tire pressure that day as it of course looked ok. Being that the hole was in the sidewall it is easy to see how a little low air pressure could have caused this. I also noticed a few scuffs around the sidewall so it could have been contacting.

I am hoping the tubeless really helps combined with higher air pressure, constant checks and using the bar.

I have had the Beringer nose wheel on my plane for over 9 yrs/ 1100+ landings. I adjust the tire pressure to 50 psi every two months. In addition to the preflight visuals, I do a tire pressure check every 60 days or it is a no-go item.

Great advice. Thank you.

The wheel arrives next week so hoping the conversion is easy and I can be back in the air.

Back