What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need RV-12 CFi

Niner-

I live in Ohio and a few years back when I needed to get transition training for insurance requirements (and to also get current) the closest flight school with an RV-12 was in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, that RV-12 suffered a bird strike which mashed the leading edge of the wing requiring skin replacement.

So I decided to fly out to Northern California and get current at Scanlon Aviation in Novato California at Gnoss Field (KDVO). I see you are in southern California ... so it would be a trip up to the bay area for you.

The RV-12 training I received at Scanlon was excellent and the flight area was spectacular ... gorgeous views while flying over the San Fransisco Bay to the south, landing practice at Napa to the east and the beautiful Pacific coast line adjacent to the north practice area and onward for landing practice at Petaluma.

I was there for quite a few days, sometimes flying twice a day. The instruction was excellent and there was good lodging very close to the airport (but across the freeway). If you plan a trip there, pad your stay there a couple of days because sometimes the direct cross winds at Gnoss can keep you grounded.

Happy flying,

Niner-

I live in Ohio and a few years back when I needed to get transition training for insurance requirements (and to also get current) the closest flight school with an RV-12 was in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, that RV-12 suffered a bird strike which mashed the leading edge of the wing requiring skin replacement.

So I decided to fly out to Northern California and get current at Scanlon Aviation in Novato California at Gnoss Field (KDVO). I see you are in southern California ... so it would be a trip up to the bay area for you.

The RV-12 training I received at Scanlon was excellent and the flight area was spectacular ... gorgeous views while flying over the San Fransisco Bay to the south, landing practice at Napa to the east and the beautiful Pacific coast line adjacent to the north practice area and onward for landing practice at Petaluma.

I was there for quite a few days, sometimes flying twice a day. The instruction was excellent and there was good lodging very close to the airport (but across the freeway). If you plan a trip there, pad your stay there a couple of days because sometimes the direct cross winds at Gnoss can keep you grounded.

Happy flying,

Scanlon lost their S-LSA RV-12 about a year ago. It got flipped in a storm and damaged, and is no longer in service.

The only places I know out west are Glass Cockpit Aviation out of Boise Idaho, and Flying Cacti out of Glendale, AZ, a suburb of Phoenix.

Twin Oaks Airpark outside of Portland, Oregon has a -12 they use for training.

When I was trying to find an instructor last year, we tried them 3 times and they'd never return a call. Maybe you'll have better luck! I have talked to people that flew there and they did have decent things to say about them.

https://www.twinoaksairpark.com/n317va

From the title ("Need RV-12 CFI") is it a plane and CFI that is required, or just a CFI? I know a couple guys in the Pacific NW (one in Oregon, one near Seattle) that I would recommend.

PM me if interested.

Flight Schools

You may want to check local flight schools. We have a few schools that do nothing but training in LSAs. I know some of the CFIs have provided instruction in 12s and helped transition a few pilots.

Glass Cockpit Aviation in Boise is a great school with a couple of RV12's. That's where I got transition training.

RV-12 CFII

I do RV-12 training in my SLSA out of Waukesha, WI (KUES).

Send me a message or give me a call if you need help. I can also travel to you if needed.

Roger
262-225-3440

If you want to take a vacation while getting some hours in, I recently went to Hawaii (Oahu) and flew with Pacific Flight Academy. They have a couple RV's in their fleet, based out of a class Bravo (PHNL).

All in all, a great experience to get my hours in for insurance requirements.

Back