What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AirGizmos Aera 500 dock

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm looking at AirGizmos Aera 500 Dock. I'm trying to visualize how the Aera crade (the connector/clip that comes with the Aera that holds the Aera in place and provides the power connection). The Airgizmos description says that "This docking connector nests into the back of our Panel Dock." I'm having a hard time vizualizing how this works. The docking connector would need to be fastened somehow in the back of of the Airgizmos mount, and there'd have to be some way to release the Aera from the docking connector which also has a mechanical holding clip mechanism... I can't see how this could work.
Have any of you installed this Airgizmos panel mount for the Aera 500?

Going from memory here. The power connector would be snapped onto the back of the GPS, the cable would go thru the back of the Air Gizmo assembly & when you position the GPS/connector assembly into the Air Gizmo, it clamps onto the GPS housing edges.
Now the memory part- If the standard power connector (cigar lighter plug type) can be removed from the mount (RAM ball mount or what ever), than it should fit in the back of the Air Gizmo case, just coil up the cabling behind the panel & plug it into the lighter socket.
There is an optional Garmin 'hard wire power connector' available, this will definitely fit in the Air Gizmo case and give you added functionality of a stable connected power source & potential to link the GPS with other components like an auto pilot or other Garmin stuff.

The docking connector "nests" but is not physically attached to the AirGizmo mount. When you pull Aera 5X0 out of the dock, the connector will come with it so you can disconnect it.

I installed mine a few years back. Very straightforward.

Have it in my panel .Main connector in back exits to right rear. Mine needed an external gps puck that exits left rear. Not real convenient to turn on and off. Hardwired mine to ship power and Dynon (use as back up GPS) so it comes on with ship power.
Hope this helps.

I installed the AirGizmo mount in my family's Cessna 150. The cable doesn't mount to the AirGizmo dock, the dock is just a static piece of plastic to hold the Aera once it's in place.

I mounted the docking bracket from the yoke mount directly to the panel (to a blanking plate on an unused instrument hole) and found that to be a lot easier to install/remove the Aera. It left the power button accessible, and you can easily slip a finger over the top to unlatch it from the dock when you want to. I'll do the same when I upgrade to an Aera 660.

Note: While the Aera works great in a Cessna 150 with a high-wing and relatively closed cockpit to keep it shaded, it is almost invisible when mounted on an RV instrument panel in daylight. Every time I want to look at it I have to shield it with my hand and squint close to see what's on the screen. It's just not bright enough for use under a bubble canopy. Unless you can mount it down under the panel or shielded somehow off to the side, you'll find it to be more trouble than it's worth.

Back