What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Letter to go from Phase II back to Phase I

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
For putting a plane back into Phase I after being in Phase II, does anyone have a example of a letter they sent to their FSDO to request approval for a test area (IAW with standard OPLIM wording) that you'd be willing to share?

Requesting a new test area seems straight forward enough, I just don't know how much other info, like why I need to go back into Phase I, needs to be included.

At my FSDO, there wasn't anything magic about the letter. Just give them the N# & tell them you need to go back to phase 1 for 5 hrs after a mod, & request an area. You can define the area with airports, or landmarks, or coordinates. You stand a better chance of getting what you ask for if you keep high traffic areas out of your requested area. I found it helpful to have a phone conversation with the person who'll handle the request before sending the request, so he understands what's coming. My FSDO was happy communicating by FAX, which can shorten delays by a few days.

You might consider sending a copy of your oplims, with your request. If they aren't the current version, it can affect the restrictions on what they can give you (sometimes in a good way). Some of the 'middle aged' oplims (prior to 9-11) allowed you to go betwee P1 & P2 at will, without notifying the FSDO.

Charlie

At my FSDO, there wasn't anything magic about the letter. Just give them the N# & tell them you need to go back to phase 1 for 5 hrs after a mod, & request an area. You can define the area with airports, or landmarks, or coordinates. You stand a better chance of getting what you ask for if you keep high traffic areas out of your requested area. I found it helpful to have a phone conversation with the person who'll handle the request before sending the request, so he understands what's coming. My FSDO was happy communicating by FAX, which can shorten delays by a few days.

You might consider sending a copy of your oplims, with your request. If they aren't the current version, it can affect the restrictions on what they can give you (sometimes in a good way). Some of the 'middle aged' oplims (prior to 9-11) allowed you to go betwee P1 & P2 at will, without notifying the FSDO.

Charlie

Sounds like a plan to me -- thanks! FWIW I plan on requesting the same test area I used for my initial Phase I from the same FSDO inspector who did my AWC so I don't anticipate any push back.

Does an enginie repair put you back in phase 1?

That would surprise me.

Well, after reviewing the definition of a minor and major change in 21.93, I'm of the mind that removing and replacing the engine on the airframe and replacing the prop (even though the engine will be the same one albeit with new parts and the prop will be the exact same make and model) is a major change.

However, I'd appreciate advice from any and all who have been down this road before -- I'm admittedly ignorant on the subject which is precisely why I posted this question. If I don't have to go back into Phase I then that's just less work for me. :D

If the engine is the same type and hp and the prop is the same make and model, this would be considered a repair and not a change. Even though a maintenance/test flight needs to be done, it does not require a return to phase I.

If the engine is the same type and hp and the prop is the same, this would be considered a repair and not a change. Even though a maintenance/test flight needs to be done, it does not require a return to phase I.

Outstanding -- Thanks Mel and Kyle!

I have had very good relations with the inspector at my local FSDO (Reno). I would just call and ask what they recommend. Recently changed my prop to a Catto climb prop. I called, thay wanted me to do basic parameters, Vx, Yy, Vso at multiple altitudes and fly for 5 hours within a 100 nm radius, no class B or C. I sent them an email with results and made a log entry. Done, no hassle.
David

I've seen references in several places recently (wish I could cite specific links, but I can't), that said the current view within the FAA is that a propeller change is only considered 'major' when it's a change from fixed to c/s, or the reverse. I won't mention some of the more extreme stuff I've heard. But some of this is coming from FAA employees. My impression was that they basically wanted out of the loop as much as possible.

YMMV, etc.

Charlie

Major Change

I've seen references in several places recently (wish I could cite specific links, but I can't), that said the current view within the FAA is that a propeller change is only considered 'major' when it's a change from fixed to c/s, or the reverse. I won't mention some of the more extreme stuff I've heard. But some of this is coming from FAA employees. My impression was that they basically wanted out of the loop as much as possible.

YMMV, etc.

Charlie

My DAR spent a lot of time going over this. Just as Mel and Charlie said.

When I was changing FP to CS last year, San Jose FSDO inspector mentioned the only other major change I could make on my RV-10 would be to change the engine from piston to turbine. I asked him about going back to FP, he said nope, not a major change in his opinion.

YMMV, etc.
Charlie

This is incorrect information. The change to or from a controllable prop has to do with submitting a new 8130-6 to Oklahoma.
Any prop change, diameter, pitch, material, manufacturer, etc. is considered a major change and requires re-entering phase I.

When I was changing FP to CS last year, San Jose FSDO inspector mentioned the only other major change I could make on my RV-10 would be to change the engine from piston to turbine. I asked him about going back to FP, he said nope, not a major change in his opinion.

This is also incorrect information. Going back to the original F/P would not require further test because it has already been tested. However, a different F/P prop, or change in engine weight and/or hp would be a major change. Again, the change from piston to turbine has to do with submitting a new 8130-6.

Back