What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-Mag ignition harness

Daida

Well Known Member
Hi out there,

has anyone ever had problems with the E-Mag ignition harness concerning the automotive spark plug connectors?

as far as i know those are clip-on type, correct?
i was just wondering if they could vibrate themselves of (especially on the lower part of the engine).

anyone experienced something like that?

maybe solution?

doesn't the standard slick harness fit in the back of the E-Mag???

that would mean: problem solved without building my own harness!!

The connector at the plug properly installed won't come off in my experience. A little silicon spark plug lube will help seal it and prevent the boot from bonding to the plug. The only problem I've had here is when using a plug with a screw on top connector. In that case I had a slight roughness in running I couldn't pin point until I noticed the silicon grease had turned black on one plug indicating arcing was occurring there.
The slick harness will not fit the Pmag coils, different system entirely.
Tim Andres

doesn't the standard slick harness fit in the back of the E-Mag???

that would mean: problem solved without building my own harness!!

No, the standard slick harness does not work with P-mags.

In 600+ hours of flying with P-mags, I have never had a wire come off. The clip on connectors are pretty positive and I can't think of a report of any coming off. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened, only that I don't recall hearing about it.

I have had the auto style ends at the spark plug side back off about a quarter of an inch.
Solved the problem with a little dielectric grease and a zip tie around the rubber boot.

Solved the problem with a little dielectric grease and a zip tie around the rubber boot.

I know many race car drivers that use the "zip tie" trick so I do the same on my airplane with dual P-Mag ignition. 180hrs with no problem whatsoever.

:cool:

Back