What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fun Thread: Post Your RV Kitty Hawk Pic Here

Jamie

Well Known Member
Having read Bill Cloughley's recent thread on his flight down to Kitty Hawk I thought it would be fun to start a thread for those who have made it to what most of us probably consider sacred ground. If you have made it to FFA and you have a picture of your RV in front of the monument post your pic here! It would be interesting to see just how many RVs sat in exactly the same spot for that photo.

Give us your n-number and the date you were there (if you remember) in the subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
RV-7A N622JP - June 21st, 2009

DSC02904.JPG

For those headed to Kitty Hawk and First Flight Airport, one little side trip to keep in mind and extremely scenic is to go down the Outer Banks past Cape Hatteras and turn right at the light house, and the next big island down is called Ocracoke Island. (keep in mind all the restricted areas, but its really an easy flight and not too big of a deal)

Ocracoke has a state maintained paved runway right off the beach, and a nice lunch stop a short walk down the road into town is called "Howards Pub" (they may even come to get you I've heard, but I've always walked to stretch my legs). The village is a little touristy, but it's an interesting stop, the only way to get there is by plane or NC state ferry from Beaufort or Hatteras.

Ocracoke is one of my all time favorite places in all of North Carolina! (or the East Coast for that matter)...

Cheers!

Ryan in Madison, WI

RV-6A N57TK - July 3, 2006

July 3, 2006 on the way home to NW Ohio from a twice-scrubbed STS-121 launch. Missed the July 4th launch - had to be home for work - but had a nice 4 hour visit at First Flight, despite the 95? temp.

Felt a bit of kinship with a "the brothers from Ohio" while visiting in a plane I built in my garage! ;)

IMG_1542.JPG

Get'er done and visit FFA in your homebuilt!

First Flight into First Flight

A nice trip from Dover, DE on May 18, 2006 with Matt, our #2 son. Spent the day, visited the grounds and museum. Visited the dunes and a couple of nearby shops. We flew down the Delmarva Peninsula, paralleled the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, made landfall south of Norfolk over NAS Oceana and hugged the coastline into KFFA.

ffa0001.jpg

Last edited:
Photo taken by a girlfriend 3 August 2001 on the way home from an Alaska Trip. 83-flying hours in 3-weeks.
97206_10.JPG

Departing FFA 3 August 2001.
Kitty%20Hawk%20air%2010.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, it was there and didn't know it wasn't an RV

jbrdbdkhwk.jpg

Our red bird took us there from California and wanted to be shown. It just didn't know it wasn't an RV.

Bob Axsom

"Patience" Makes It To KFFA

It was a beautiful day today in Southeastern VA. My home base (KCPK) is a very short hop (50 Nautical Miles) to KFFA.
I read this thread this morning when I got up and decided it was time to go see an old friend who lives minutes away from First Flight Airport. I considered it a bonus to be able to grab a shot of my RV-8A with the Wright Brothers monument in the background.
I couldn't help but to think about what took place here and how far we've come since then. I would like to think that the brothers must be overhead looking down on my machine and hopefully they were impressed. Imagine if you were able to give Orville and Wilbur a tour of your machine. They would probably think that you had flown in from another planet. Here is the beauty shot. A beautiful monument and nice museum. I hope you have the opportunity to visit with your machine soon!
IMG_1198.jpg

Finially made the pilgrimage to Kitty Hawk. Nobody told me how much walking was involved - big park! Visit made mid-Sept, 2015
image_zpsucidytmk.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm already envisioning our RV in a picture like this!

Nice to see that the Park Service moved the "Welcome to KFFA, please register" sign so it doesn't interfere with the picture...

Dave

First flight to First Flight

Old thread, but seemed like a good time to add a new post.

We have talked for some time about making the journey as our first overnight trip and we were finally able to make it happen. Glad to have the instrument ticket and a plane IFR equipped. Sirius-XM and FIS-B weather was extremely useful in making a change in fuel stops on the way home.

The Wright Brothers Monument is one of those places any aviation enthusiast should visit. Flying into FFA in an airplane we built was a wonderful experience.

Great old thread! It should always be kept current!

Made a early summer trip out there in 2020. Fun place to take a homebuilt and a great little runway. I really wish we could land in the grass next to the original Wright Flyer track. That would be neat.

Attachments

• IMG_9691.jpg
    IMG_9691.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_9690.jpg
    IMG_9690.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_9670.jpg
    IMG_9670.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 319
I used to think Vlad's picture of a pretty girl with torn jeans and a gun posing with the airplane was the best photo on this site. nope, you win! the photo is stunning. maybe you could add a photoshop'd girl with torn jeans sitting on the wing?

Last edited:
What an awesome airplane - Fastback RV4. You take the most perfect cowling ever designed for an engine, put it on a Vans airframe, add a Fastback canopy/turtledeck....... you just can’t get better than this. Maybe the Wright brothers envisioned something similar, probably not, but look what they started. Nothing flys better, nothing looks better (unless you’re flying an F-16 for Uncle Sam). I agree with Steve - beautiful picture!
I like the added glare shield too.

Visited this past summer. Highly recommended!

Attachments

• 7E9BD0CB-19E2-4D5B-8416-2FC184E8E290.jpg
    7E9BD0CB-19E2-4D5B-8416-2FC184E8E290.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 273
How can any RVr not come to Kitty Hawk ??
Butch (RV6A - N72TX) and I visited in April 2019. He took the picture.

I checked Kitty Hawk/FFA off my bucket list in 2015 with my Navion. I'm not sure I'll have the opportunity to get the RV there once it's flying but everyone should fly in there at least once in anything you can.
Kitty%20hawk%202015sm.jpg

Back