What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Firewall Forward Kit Additions/Deletions

Meat

Patron
Hi All,

I just ordered my RV-14 taildragger -EXP119 Firewall Forward kit. Currently a 6-month lead time so wanted to get in the line. I'm installing a new 0-390-EXP119 engine with dual P-mags. The Van's lady asked if I wanted to make any deletions to the kit. I reviewed the packing list and there's nothing on there I can see that I won't need.

I wanted to know if anyone made any deletions/additions to their Firewall Forward kit utilizing the EXP119 engine that are an obvious choice. I'm more interested in "must do" changes that are easily justified vs "nice to do" changes since one can customize a kit plane to their hearts content.

Thanks for everyone's time and input. Happy building.

Scott

It depends. For example:
- Do you want the FWF provided Plane Power alternator? Many opt for the B&C 60 amp externally regulated unit.
- Do you want the FWF provided governor? I prefer the PCU-5000X governor.
- I think the oil cooler in the FWF kit is now the Air Flow X series cooler. If so, this is what you want.

Carl

Also you may want to consider the hose package with integral fire sleeve from Aircraft Specialty and delete the vans hoses. All details on the AS website.

Cheers,
Ian.

+1 on the hoses. I ordered mine a few months before my fwf kit was due to arrive and they still came in way before it. Really nice product. My only comment was I wish they would have labeled each hose. Top notch product, though and I would definitely order again.

Jeff

+1 on the hoses. I ordered mine a few months before my fwf kit was due to arrive and they still came in way before it. Really nice product. My only comment was I wish they would have labeled each hose. Top notch product, though and I would definitely order again.

Jeff

Jeff,

Happy you like the hoses. One thing to mention for anyone who did order an RV14 FWF hose kit from us. The hoses have a stainless data tag on them. The last line of the data tag says "H" followed by a number. This number gives the location of the hose for installation.

Happy building, and as always, please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Steve

Thanks Steve!
I looked at them when they came in and did notice the stainless steel tag. I must have missed the location notation, thought it was a product number. Going to mount my engine in the next week or two, so I'll take another look.

Oh, and talking with Steve on the phone and going over options was easy and educational.

Jeff

Jeff,

Happy you like the hoses. One thing to mention for anyone who did order an RV14 FWF hose kit from us. The hoses have a stainless data tag on them. The last line of the data tag says "H" followed by a number. This number gives the location of the hose for installation.

Happy building, and as always, please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Steve

Steve,
For anyone following or finds this thread, aren't your hoses now part of the standard vans FWF kit?

Take care
Mark

Hi Mark---this is Tom---YES----our integral firesleeved hose are now the hoses you get when you order the Vans FWF kit. Identified by the -1 at the end of the part number, this separates them from the previous hoses.

Tom

Back