What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A&P near Wichita Falls for magneto removal

wrongway john

Well Known Member
Finding one is getting a bit challenging in my parts, a few of us are starting to have a bit of trouble finding one available. This is for my RV-6 for mag removal, does it require an A&P? Prefer one, but if it is legal, and if one has done some before, I'd hire them out as well.

Have a place outside of Dallas I'm going to mail the mags for the 500 hour inspection, but will need someone again for installation.

Aero Maintenance is just a few miles from me at Sheppard but rarely answers the phone, more times than not it goes unanswered, and if they do answer, it's only to tell you they are too far backed up to take on any new work, if they take your name, you still never hear back from them, at least I haven't.

Another one in Graham that I had used in the past just got in trouble with the feds, and now all work done by him from past condition inspections is void.

We had another independent A&P that used to travel to our airport, but he seems to have gone with the wind, several of us have tried to get a hold of him over a few months, and haven't heard back.

Might consider flying it within a hundred miles or so from my place, if shops still do this and not backlogged for weeks on end.

Is this fairly common, or does your area have quite a few shops and choices that can easily get you in and out? I dread any repair these days, was down for several months last year due to new ADS-B installation, but finally found some Sheppard AF guys that was doing this installation on the jets, The Stratus ESG was new to them, but they enjoyed the challenge and did me a great job. After that, I had canopy separation, which I fixed myself. Soon after that, the piano hinges on my canopy broke about the first three inches on each side, so learned how to do that next. Prior to that, I've had 8 years with no issues on engine or air-frame. Oh well, since I didn't build it, I'm enjoying learning a lot of things, but hate the down time.

Any leads on the mag removal and installation will be appreciated.

John

You can do any work you wish to do on an experimental. You just can't sign off the condition inspection if you do not hold the repairman's certificate.

So, you could remove/install the mags yourself. If you prefer not to do this job, fly it over to see Walt Aronow over at 52F (between Ft Worth and Denton). https://www.expaircraft.com/

I would recommend Walt at:

EXP Aircraft Services
Northwest Regional Airport
Roanoke, TX 76262
(972) 746-5154

Back