What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Non-builders/second owners projects

AN23

Well Known Member
Well, I've done it now. After owning our 7 for under a year, my son and I have started down the new panel road. It's kind of scary to take a perfectly flying and operating RV and just rip it's heart out! After two full days of careful work, the panel rode home with me tonight in the backseat of my car. I'm in A&P school (crazy at 66 years old but having fun) so I have access to experts that are going to help me with the panel cutouts, new brackets, etc. and then a new carbon fiber overlay. A new Skyview is waiting to be installed! Just want all you builders to know that us second owners are willing to get our hands dirty too!

Great fun!

Like you I?m a second owner of an RV7A. I?ve been tearing into my RV for over two years (also a first time aircraft owner). So far I?ve converted from manual trim to electric, installed new military style Tosten grips, wired up the grips to facilitate comm swap, freq swap, autopilot engage/disengage, pilot/copilot PTT, transponder ident and flap retract. I also upgraded my transponder from a GTX330 to the GTX335. Hard wired my FlightBox ads-b ?in? receiver to my GRT Horizon WS so that traffic and weather can be displayed. Installed an oil pressure switch to activate my Hobbs meter, corrected a misaligned elevator and numerous other smaller upgrades. I?m now thinking about upgrading my panel a little.

This is the nice thing about owning an experimental aircraft. The ?build/upgrade? experience is continuous!

BTW, I take it from your user name your a graduate of class 74-07. I?m a Reese AFB 75-07.

Hey Rob, is this what A&P school does to you? I'm awaiting delivery of a GRT EFIS for my 6. Going to try and do this partial upgrade in place. "Gulp".
-- Sam Hart
Newberry

Well, I've done it now. After owning our 7 for under a year, my son and I have started down the new panel road. It's kind of scary to take a perfectly flying and operating RV and just rip it's heart out! After two full days of careful work, the panel rode home with me tonight in the backseat of my car. I'm in A&P school (crazy at 66 years old but having fun) so I have access to experts that are going to help me with the panel cutouts, new brackets, etc. and then a new carbon fiber overlay. A new Skyview is waiting to be installed! Just want all you builders to know that us second owners are willing to get our hands dirty too!
Go for it!!! I am a non builder/2nd owner of an experimental and did a complete instrument panel upgrade. I went from this:
2b1b.jpg

to this:
23f2.jpg

I recommend that, before even starting, you make up schematic diagram(s) of every connection/circuit you will need. Use these diagrams for the install. Correct the diagrams as you do the work so the diagrams reflect what you actually did. It also makes for excellent documentation for future changes. It is time consuming and challenging but well worth the effort.

:cool:

Last edited:
Can't wait to see the resulting panel. She was ready for a Skyview upgrade.

I miss the RV life, but glad she went to a good home.

Thanks everyone. I also just want to compliment Brian's build quality. During the last 9 months, we have pretty much been through the airplane. I'm an ex-Air Force pilot and retired Director of Flight Ops for a major international company. I'm also one year into a two year A&P program. I have a good idea of what a well built, well maintained airplane looks like. Since my grandkids ride in this beautiful 7, I wanted to look at and touch every inch of it. Brian and Kenny Tattersal (RV8 we owned before this 7) both just built incredible airplanes. Brian's 7 (his name is on it forever) is an incredible performer, well thought out and beautifully executed. We love it and it's our job to make it better than ever!

Thanks Brian!

Sam, I thought long and hard about doing the mod in place. Several factors steered me towards the complete removel. First, I was concerned about the potential for getting metal dust and shavings into the electrical connections, switches, etc.. Next, we wanted to do some panel mods followed by a carbon fiber overlay. After studying it for days and taking it apart in my mind, I dug into it. If I could have worked straight thru, I could have had it out in one day. Now, I have the panel in my car heading to school and a bunch of expert instructors to help me with the mods. I could do it in half the time if I ever had to do it again.

Panel

Just an update. After reading lots of threads here, asking some experts and, doing alot of research, my son and I have decided to have the panel hydro-dipped. The last of my avionics parts are enroute from Dynon and now, I am sitting in my den with a lap full of wires, reading the Dynon installation manual to try to figure out where they all go and, enjoying the process. Gathering all of the parts and pieces seems to be never ending. I truly admire you guys and girls that have built these aircraft from scratch!

Just an update. After reading lots of threads here, asking some experts and, doing alot of research, my son and I have decided to have the panel hydro-dipped. The last of my avionics parts are enroute from Dynon and now, I am sitting in my den with a lap full of wires, reading the Dynon installation manual to try to figure out where they all go and, enjoying the process. Gathering all of the parts and pieces seems to be never ending. I truly admire you guys and girls that have built these aircraft from scratch!

RV's aren't built from scratch.....a true 'plans-built' aircraft is indeed a real project! :)

Sam, I thought long and hard about doing the mod in place. Several factors steered me towards the complete removel. First, I was concerned about the potential for getting metal dust and shavings into the electrical connections, switches, etc.. Next, we wanted to do some panel mods followed by a carbon fiber overlay. After studying it for days and taking it apart in my mind, I dug into it. If I could have worked straight thru, I could have had it out in one day. Now, I have the panel in my car heading to school and a bunch of expert instructors to help me with the mods. I could do it in half the time if I ever had to do it again.

You bring up a very important point about drill debris, during my fuse build it was on a rotisserie and you would not believe how much is in this thing, with compressed air, vacuum and turning upside down over and over it is very difficult to get everything out. Have a plan to catch as much as possible if fabricating in the airframe and keep as clean as possible.

Back