What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adel Tool & Mod

phapp

Patron
-8 Aerosport Power IO-360

Working on FWF and shooting to have ZERO tie wraps FWF.

The best money I've spent on a tool is the Adel Clamp Tool from AS.

But it needed a bit of a work. With a correct length AN3 or screw, washer and stop nut, the jaws were just too thick to catch the nut. It also had a very rough casting so a lot of friction and hard to remove after catching just a couple threads of the stop nut.

A few different grades of files, course to fine, to take off a few thousands and bevel the jaws, then the ScotchBrite wheel to clean it up (both sides) and it works like a Champ.

view

For those of you that have access to used (or new) surgical clamps, a kocher and or a needle driver also work well.

I like a challenge, did the cut off wheel in die grinder to put a slot in a saw zaw blade, Phillips through the Adel clamp holes, long needle nose pliers to squeeze it all together, then the clamp holding tool (slotted blade) on the Adel (s) remove Phillips and install hardware.

-8 Aerosport Power IO-360

Working on FWF and shooting to have ZERO tie wraps FWF.

The best money I've spent on a tool is the Adel Clamp Tool from AS.

But it needed a bit of a work. With a correct length AN3 or screw, washer and stop nut, the jaws were just too thick to catch the nut. It also had a very rough casting so a lot of friction and hard to remove after catching just a couple threads of the stop nut.

A few different grades of files, course to fine, to take off a few thousands and bevel the jaws, then the ScotchBrite wheel to clean it up (both sides) and it works like a Champ.

view

I agree as it has saved me hours of frustration with adel clamps fwd of firewall. I rounded all the corners on the tips as I found they would put a mark on the adel clamp right in the radius of the loop creating a very bad fatigue detail. I had several that supported the exhaust (stainless steal) that keep cracking there until I realized I was causing it by using this tool. Rounded corners to match the radius in the clamp and have not had one fail since.

A bit of safety wire is my favorite method. I've found that with just the right amount of twist, you can even re-use them if you don't cut them off while you're making changes. Just slide them on/off as needed.

Charlie

Back