What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Not a good day to fly.....

bret

Well Known Member
just another winter storm warning:

* Snow Accumulations: Above 7500 feet...2 to 5 feet. Between 6500 and 7500 feet...8 to 24 inches. Heaviest snow will be west of Highway 89 and along the Sierra crest. Below 6500 feet...Up to 6 inches.

* Winds: South to Southwest winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 55 mph. Sierra ridge gusts over 130 mph.

Yup - that's why I left the RV-8 in our hangar at Big Bear, and drove all the way home. Discretion and the better part of valor thing......

Yup, looking out over Eagle Valley (Carson City) and am getting really tired of the weather and not flying

Yup - that's why I left the RV-8 in our hangar at Big Bear, and drove all the way home. Discretion and the better part of valor thing......

Been to Big Bear many times from MCAS El Toro.....back in the day.....

Yuk.
Winter flying sure is tougher than the other seasons. Driven plenty of times like Paul.

Recently did a round trip to Erie PA. Ugly cold and snow and a 60 knot direct headwind that caused an extra fuel stop. Worst part was I had a terrible case of "automatic rough" the whole flight even though it was unjustified.

Sacrilege alert: there are things other than flying. We are at our condo for our February ski trip, forecast was accurate, two feet on our deck at 7,500' and no lack of powder on Heavenly's Nevada side, winds were not a factor. Conditions kept a lot of holiday folks off the slopes. But after our half day of skiing (we're getting wiser, not older, dangnabbit!) we ran some errands in the valley. While driving by MEV and CXP, I could not help but think about who to ask about temporary aircraft housing. Basing the RV out here for a couple months this spring sure would be fun . . .:rolleyes:

Winds: South to Southwest winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 55 mph. Sierra ridge gusts over 130 mph.

Hi Bret, I live in the east, not in the west by these mountains. Wonder if you could edumacate me a bit. These "sierra ridge gusts" you talk about---I'm assuming the winds pressurize as they blow against the mountains, forcing them"up??" over the ridges at the 130 mph? Do they go "down" the other side at the 130 mph also?:eek:

Hi Bret, I live in the east, not in the west by these mountains. Wonder if you could edumacate me a bit. These "sierra ridge gusts" you talk about---I'm assuming the winds pressurize as they blow against the mountains, forcing them"up??" over the ridges at the 130 mph? Do they go "down" the other side at the 130 mph also?:eek:

There was good discussion of mountain wave here a couple of weeks ago, and yes - when the winds over the ridge of the Sierra get high, it has to go somewhere. Rotors and other nasty stuff - that's why I drove instead of flying yesterday. Things are great until they aren't, and you're upside down.

The route between Socal and Norcal is really nasty right now.

WSUS06 KKCI 202319
SFOV WS 202319
SIGMET VICTOR 1 VALID UNTIL 210316
SIGMET
CA NV AZ AND CSTL WTRS
FROM BTY TO 50ENE LAS TO 20ESE LAS TO 20WSW RZS TO 40W EHF TO BTY
OCNL SEV TURB BLW 100. DUE TO MTN WV ACT AND STG UDDFS AND LLWS.
RPTD BY MAULE M4. CONDS ENDG 0316Z.

Not to rub it in, but had a Beautiful day and Fantastic flying south of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania today. Winds were calm, sky clear, and air was very smooth. 1.4 on the hobbs just cruising around the local area with high temperature of 64 F. According to Acuweather, history average is 41/25F.

Winds: South to Southwest winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 55 mph. Sierra ridge gusts over 130 mph.

Not going to go find out :eek: update for tonight, 150 MPH! over ridge tops!

There was good discussion of mountain wave here a couple of weeks ago, and yes - when the winds over the ridge of the Sierra get high, it has to go somewhere. Rotors and other nasty stuff - that's why I drove instead of flying yesterday. Things are great until they aren't, and you're upside down.

Thanks much Paul, I found the post you were talking about. Very informative. You read about this stuff---try to tuck it away in your memory banks---but until one is actually flying over the mountains, it fades. Good to read info like this all the time.:)

Back