What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip of the Day - Twist Welding Cables

Special Delivery

Well Known Member
Like most of you -12 builders, we've tried various methods of cutting the throttle and choke cables to minimize fraying. We've used the method in this video on several of our recent builds and WOW!... easy, fast, and the ends are permanently welded together. This tip is worthy of print in the RV-12 plans. (Disregard the nyloc nut... a Van's no no. Ref SB 13-08-29)

Click photo for link to YouTube video

Enjoy... and keep that torch away from the carb.

Last edited:
Very helpful, thanks! Wish I'd known of that trick 35-40 yrs ago for my bicycles, mowers, go carts....

I'm not quite sure what this means.....

The cable bolt and nut shown in the photo you posted is what is on the engine when you take it out of the crate (came from Rotax that way......)

Hope this helps...
The photo in my original post is a Rotax engine operationally installed on another brand of aircraft. I apologize for being cryptic and in the future will be more detailed in my remarks or list direct references.

Ref: SB 13-08-29

Last edited:
EAA Hints for Homebuilders has a video on this same technique that was published in 2014. I have been using it since then with great success after a couple of test tries.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

This is a great idea, and much easier than soldering the wire before cutting it - a technique I have been using on MG throttle and choke cables for about 40 years!

I was pleased that they mentioned that the heat will affect the integrity of the cable for a short distance - clamping the cable in a vice, or other large metal device (vice grips come to mind), will help prevent the heat affected area travelling too far along the cable - the vice acts as a big heat sink! The area affected by the heat "could" become brittle - not something you want on an aircraft throttle cable!

Another thing that works:
Bicycle shops have a small sleeve that fits over bike cables and then gets crimped on. Nice looking end, easy no heating.

I used a small piece of electrical wire shrink wrap on the cable ends and it has held the tips together thusfar, but I do like this heating method better.

Back