What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stab hinge brackets attached with LP4-3?

Roy25101

I am building the newer post SB-18-02-02 stabilator so pictures and knowledge of this redesign are limited. I am at the point of riveting the hinge brackets to the forward spar and, I believe I am reading it correctly, they are installed using LP4-3 pop rivets. I find this odd because it does not follow Van's prior pattern of using squeeze rivets in critical areas when able. I thought I would ask because it certainly is a highly critical component and squeeze rivets would actually install easier than pop rivets. Perhaps I am wrong but assumed squeeze rivets were a more robust choice particularly in a tension load such as this. I can see that the load is now also transferred vertically to the spar flange and skins so perhaps this is the reason for the pop rivet option.

As always, thanks for any input....

Per page 17-3 of the RV-12iS Maintenance Manual:

?AN470AD rivets may be substituted for specified LP4 rivets.?

Are you referring to drawing 9iS/U-04, step 1, figure 1? You are correct that LP4-3 rivets are called out for attaching the hinge brackets to the forward spar.

Back