What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Derived AN365 torque values.

Roy25101

I am installing the inboard hinge bracket on the HS spar and am not able to determine the "friction drag" of the nut. I need to add this value to the recommended 20-25 inch pounds for the nut itself. The torque wrench I am using does not go below 20 inch pounds so I am not able to measure a torque as low as this. Any recommendations?

AN3-5A Bolt
AN365-1032 Nut

Thanks in advance for your time?.

Hi Roy
I tested the friction of an AN 365-1032 nylock nut onto an AN3 bolt with a normal wrench and a small " fish scale". The length of the wrench was 5 inch and to rotate the nut the fish scale read 0.2 of a pound . If you do the math this translate to 1 inch pound torque just to turn the nut. And yes this was a new nut and bolt, I do believe the metal lock nuts do have a higher torque value just to turn the nut compared to a AN 365 nylock nut. IIRC there is a value for metal lock nuts in the new section 5 of the build manual. My advice would be to torque to 25 inch pounds and be happy.
Hope this helps
Arie

The torque wrench I am using does not go below 20 inch pounds so I am not able to measure a torque as low as this. Any recommendations?

Sounds like an opportunity to buy a new inch/pound or NM wrench. Honestly, there will be a lot of places where you will need to measure this so having the right tool from the get-go will eliminate a lot of guessing and mistakes. Many decent bike stores have good units that don't cost a ton.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1134890_-1_400155__400155

I have two military surplus "T" handle click wrenches that were set up for 10-32 AN365 nuts. I checked them against a beam wrench. Both were set for 25 inch pounds.

My torque wrench has the same lower limit. I've been torquing my AN3's with the NyLoc nuts to 28 in.-lb., so that probably puts me at the high end of the range. I wouldn't bother getting another torque wrench. Put the money instead toward more snap bushings…can never have enough snap bushings. :D

Something like this does a great job measuring those.

51A1NS8lAOL._SL1500_.jpg

SK Hand Tool 74006 1/4-Inch Drive at Amazon.

Dave

Back