What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I fix a mistake by going with a countersunk rivet.

Roy25101

For anyone who might have the whole vertical stabilizer section of the RV-10 Builders Manual memorized. On page 6-3 (that's right, I only made it to the 2nd page without screwing up), Step 8, instead of just machine countersinking the flange holes in the VS-1003 Rear Spar which are common to the skin, I did every other one below that.

All that aside, I have come to find out that these holes are used to attach the rear spar to the spar caps and to nothing else. If I slide a larger diameter flush rivet in the hole it fits beautifully.

My question is, will I get the same strength out of countersunk rivets as universal rivets.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Most likely that is acceptable, but it would be best to get the official word from Vans. I suspect the answer is that it is ok as flush versus universal is generally the same strength, just countersinking is more time/effort and isn't used when not necessary. So it shouldn't be an issue, but Vans is the engineering authority.

Back