What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gaston's with pants?

digidocs

Well Known Member
Hi VAF,

Anyone flown into Gaston's recently? Did you leave your wheel pants on? I'd hate to fly in with pants and have to leave without! :eek: (-10 here.)

Thanks!

Gastons

I flew in there about this time last year in the -10 with no problems. It's a one way strip but the surface is not bad.

Gastons

I?ve always called the lodge before I?ve gone in for a pirep on runway conditions. The staff has been accurate with the report.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

49clipper

No pants is not an issue at all. the problem with Gastons is how rough it is at the approach end of 24. 6/24 runway with landing on 24, takeoff on 6. I have been there many times over the last thirty years, but have written it off as too rough for my -6. Will not go again with this plane. Its a roller coaster at the approach end of 24. Its listed as 3200', so if you land at 1500', you might miss the rough areas.

Not RV, but still castering nose wheels with pants...

There's a POA fly in to Gaston's every year, right around Petit Jean timing, and a friend brings either his Grumman Traveler or SR-22. No issues.

Last edited:
No issues. Problem is that most people think that runway 6 starts at the pumps... it doesn’t, the runway starts at the tree line. There is a hump at the start of runway 6. If you start at the street, you’ll hit the jump and start to porpoise.

T

Last edited:
Back