Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 07-24-2022, 11:47 AM

Default How it happened?

I’m leaving that for Larry to post rather than 2nd hand info that will need to be corrected. I’m just trying to get him help, which seems to have been done. Larry went to talk to Ken Krueger somewhere.
RV 7A RV #9700 May 2017
N325KS the Flying “K”
Built in SoCal KCCB, now in GA @ KPXE
1,000+ Hours & 7X cross the USA
OSH flyin 2018, 2019 & 2022.
Petit Jean 2019, 2021 & 2022
Old 07-24-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g zero View Post
If you zoom in on the first pic there looks to be a hole punched in the rudder from hitting the RH elevator. Probably slammed then unzipped
To add: twist or torsion failure called “unzipped”. You can almost imagine the torsional failure in clockwise direction as the the impact on lower right occurred. Rudder swung right, impact + moment arm = top result. Force vector left to right.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:29 PM

Thank you Doug! I am flying with Larry , RV-14A guy, and we talked to Vans, and the Repair folks. Brian at Vans said this was the first thing they discussed this am and that they were looking also. So we will swing by Vans and let Brian know the great news. And we will head back to take the rudder off. Is the this a fully built rudder, or kit? Larry’s user name is LJack. Hope to meet you here at the show.
Old 07-24-2022, 12:46 PM

Just saw Randy’s Rudder on the earlier post. Appreciate all the help on this!
Old 07-24-2022, 12:52 PM
unfluencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA View Post
Thank you Doug! I am flying with Larry , RV-14A guy, and we talked to Vans, and the Repair folks. Brian at Vans said this was the first thing they discussed this am and that they were looking also. So we will swing by Vans and let Brian know the great news. And we will head back to take the rudder off. Is the this a fully built rudder, or kit? Larry’s user name is LJack. Hope to meet you here at the show.
Yeah it was the first thing we were doing this morning. <g>. Talking about your rudder and trying to find you one. We were all sitting around the table with our phones texting our friends. Super glad this is working out for you. I’ll have some more information when it ships out tomorrow. It’s being boxed up today.

It does not have the fiberglass bottom cap so that will need to be removed from yours and attached to the new one with pop rivets. Other than that you should be good to go

More to come…
  • Part time: G450/550 and Phenom 300 seat support at CAE (KDFW).

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 07-24-2022 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:27 PM

I hate to tag onto someone else’s thread. I have a damaged rudder also from last night’s storm at OSH. Click image for larger version

Name:	ED4240E1-86EE-472C-A5D7-E5F5A18BB8E5.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	489.8 KB
ID:	28562

Click image for larger version

Name:	30C2BFA0-881B-4650-8CCE-18B4CB7DC262.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	450.3 KB
ID:	28563

Click image for larger version

Name:	6C10B3A2-DFEA-4061-BA7F-B6CFCB6158D2.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	460.0 KB
ID:	28564in my case the trailing edge rivets at the bottom of the rudder unzipped.

I am going to need a new rudder if anyone else has a 7,9,14 rudder I would appreciate talking to you. I have talked with Van this morning and discussed my damage. He believes I can repair it and fly home. However, it will have to be replaced once home.

If anyone has a built 7,9,14 rudder they can sell me please call me: four O fife ate 2 two zero six 2 won. You can also find my phone number on the link below in my signature.

I was using the AntiSplat gust lock. The wind pushed the elevator hard enough to pull the stick aft. That allowed the bars to the rudder pedals to fall away and dislodge from the pedals. The rudder was free moving at that point.

If anyone can help please call my cell.

Thanks,
https://rvwings.com

Live Long And Prosper! 🖖🏻
Old 07-24-2022, 01:29 PM

It won’t help this case but I have an unused 8/ late 6/ early 7 rudder on the shelf at home in Milwaukee if needed. This is the early smaller counterbalanced version with .020 skins. Built but needs the fiberglass bits riveted on.
Milwaukee
Old 07-24-2022, 01:31 PM

Doug,
Just a note about your previous post above about the fiberglass caps. They do not have to be attached to the rudder to fly the rudder. Talking from experience having done so flying home from OSH in 2017 when I had to replace my damaged rudder here at OSH then. Yes, you read that correctly! This is the second time at OSH I have had my rudder damaged at OSH!

Old 07-24-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprucemoose View Post
It won’t help this case but I have an unused 8/ late 6/ early 7 rudder on the shelf at home in Milwaukee if needed. This is the early smaller counterbalanced version with .020 skins. Built but needs the fiberglass bits riveted on.
Jeff, I would welcome a conversation with you. I am at the homebuilt pavilion most of today, or call my cell. Thanks.

I do have an RV9A so not sure if that would work for me or not. Anyone else please keep me in mind.

Old 07-24-2022, 01:55 PM

Steve

Sorry for your plight
A potential TEMP fix to get you home- I assume you have inspected the rudder & elevators for any other damages, the real repair would be either outright replacement or re-skinning your rudder.

-go down to the EAA emergency repair area (I think down near Classic Aircraft camping)
- ask for a bit of .025 aluminum (2024 0r 6061 doesn't matter) 4" square, cut it diagonally to give you two triangles
- borrow a drill & .030 bit, pull rivetter & some .030 pull rivets
- sandwich the damaged area with the two triangles & drill through the trailing edge & bottom rib of the rudder & secure with the pop rivets.

Last note to appease the folks that would be concerned about balance & flutter - Its a 9.. I would assume Steve would think it wise to not be a speed demon flying home...