What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on soundproofing

hjacquart

What is the general concensus on soundproofing in a 6A. I'm nearing the end of the build and was curious as to what most have done with their builds.

I have it on the floor, and that's it. ANR headsets take care of the rest, as it's very loud without. With the ANR's it just doesn't matter, as we'd listen to XM radio, and converse just fine.

L.Adamson -- 6A

Sound Proofing 101

Most of the noise is the wind going around the canopy. Sound proofing on the fire wall helps a little as well as sound proofing on the floor. Good sound proofing material is dense and weighs a lot and doesn't do that much since most of the noise comes from wind around the canopy. My next plane will have firewall and floor sound proofing only. I was talking to a friend of mine who installed a Vetterman muffler and he said it did make a difference.

To sum it up, I think the best very best sound proofing is a good pair of ANR headsets. Some RV pilots seem to be happy with the earplug type of headsets too.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

Most of the noise is the wind going around the canopy. Sound proofing on the fire wall helps a little as well as sound proofing on the floor. Good sound proofing material is dense and weighs a lot and doesn't do that much since most of the noise comes from wind around the canopy. My next plane will have firewall and floor sound proofing only. I was talking to a friend of mine who installed a Vetterman muffler and he said it did make a difference.

To sum it up, I think the best very best sound proofing is a good pair of ANR headsets. Some RV pilots seem to be happy with the earplug type of headsets too.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

What!!!! and just what kind will that be?

Next plane Gasman?

Well just have to wait and see what comes out of my Skunk Works next. I still have a couple of the super heavy engine mounts.

Steve

My plane is pretty loud and I have Bose X headsets. Sometimes on takeoff the noise seems to overwhelm the ANR. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, I'm just putting the plane together after paint, including reinstalling the rear window on my tip-up and realized that there is no sealing material between the plexiglas and the skins. Does anyone think sealing this area might help mitigate some noise?

Thanks for your opinions and ideas

All best

Jeremy Constant

Soundproofing

If you don't want ANR and/or headsets then I urge the passive type inserts.

There are several brands. Mine are clairity aloft brand. The wife did not want the headset messing up her hair, (surprise.) We tried a pair at Arlington in 2007. Been loving them ever since. With the 40+ decibel reduction both of our RV's are nice to talk in, even at WOT w/ straight pipes. Our RV's had no real soundproofing and music is great sounding. ANR headsets work also. Just an option.

If you don't want ANR and/or headsets then I urge the passive type inserts.

There are several brands. Mine are clairity aloft brand. The wife did not want the headset messing up her hair, (surprise.) We tried a pair at Arlington in 2007. Been loving them ever since. With the 40+ decibel reduction both of our RV's are nice to talk in, even at WOT w/ straight pipes. Our RV's had no real soundproofing and music is great sounding. ANR headsets work also. Just an option.

It is a more than a little odd that every other headset company claims around the 30s for decibel reduction, while clarity aloft claims "noise reduction (35-45dB)"

45 bB?!

I think somewhere in the clarity aloft is a really good marketer (sp?)...

so they have 45 db on a single frequency i bet. I bet all the other makers could probably pick a frequency they have great reduction values also. But they don't...

Double Up

I have continuos foil backed soundproofing on the firewall,
RV6A419PanelBraces1.jpg

then the same kind but just covering about a quarter of each open area between the ribs and stringers.

RV6A419AlternateFuelLineRoute2.jpg

Just enough to keep it from resonating.

That coverage extends back to the seats. I also have foam on the footwell area that is thick enough to make the carpet even with the stringers.

Having an interior helps with noise too. I also have spent a lot of time sealing my canopy.

I also use good noise reduction headsets along with Entymotic Research earplugs. I added the earplugs after noticing how much more often I was saying "what" after taking four weeks to fly around the country.

Hans

Back