What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anybody put a Dynon a/p in an RV-3 (or 4)?

CuriousGeorge

Looking for tips to avoid reinventing the wheel... install kits are not RV-3 specific and Dynon tech has little to offer for advice on 3 installation.

Thanks --

One way is to put the roll servo in the wingtip. Sam Buchanan has a writeup of installing the Navaid AP servo in the wingtip. You could modify his instructions to work with the Dynon.
For a RV-4, if you have room under the floor, you could also put the roll servo there and use a real short attach angle to connect to the tube that runs from the front control stick to the rear control stick.

For the pitch servo, you will have to remove the elevator bellcrank angle brackets, if already installed, and put in longer angle brackets that the pitch servo can attach to. I think Dynon and Trutrack both have instructions available on how to do that.

Thanks Tom.

Good pics plus I did a thread search and found more good info. Looks like a wingtip install with be in order on my 3 for the roll mode, and the pitch looks pretty easy.

Dynon was very accomodating today in helping me get the install kits I needed shipped out asap. Everyone's on a skeleton crew or just plain closed due to OSH, so they get an A for customer service just for answering the phone! But they also did more.

We'll see how it all works out hopefully next week.

A little different

I put mine in the center section, in front of the seat on the left side of the stick and connected to the stick bracket. There is just enough room to make it work and it works great.

Back