What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power VP-100/200 Install in RV-8

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Does anyone out there have pictures of how or where they have installed the Vertical Power Control Unit for the VP-100/200? Pictures of the Switch Panel would be cool too. Don't know how many of these units are out there, so don't know how much luck I'll have. All info is appreciated.

hi,

we have a vp200 install going... so far it's been great :)

here's the current state of the panel:
P1070220.JPG

and the location of the control unit:
P1070123.JPG

rv-7a tipup, the control unit is mounted upside down on the passenger side to two custom support angles. this location has worked out really well so far. it's close to the radio stack and a lot of other consumers/wiring.

let me know if you have any further questions.

bernie

All good ideas.

Thanks all for the pictures and ideas. Since my panel plans have actually become simpler over the past few months, I'm thinking of trying to fit the CU behind the panel. I don't have the unit yet. I have to call Stein or VP next week to order the unit. I don't have a Kitlog site or anything, but I'll try to post some pics (since I just learned how) as the process goes along.

Hey Jeff,

Did you get any further along installing/planning this? I was thinking of doing this in my RV-8 and wondering about panel space for the VP-200/100.

VP 200 in an F1 Rocket

Finishing up the install today, then on to doing the wiring. The VP unit is on the left with the switch panel beneath it. The CU is going in the tunnel directly below the instrument panel.

Panel.jpg

Jeff,

I would definitely contact Matt Dralle. There isn't much he hasn't got in his RV-8 panel. His build site is here.

bob

FP17122009A000AV.jpg

Here are some pics of my installation.

The instrument panel had to be lengthened by an inch to fit both the VP-200 and Dynon D-180 in the center.

The control unit fits in the forward baggage well. I have sealed any gaps in the top with silicone, added a vent to the well next to the rudder pedals and a cap overhead to prevent any water from finding its way in.

DSC02318.jpg

Nothing new yet.

aviationgeek84
Hey Jeff,
Did you get any further along installing/planning this? I was thinking of doing this in my RV-8 and wondering about panel space for the VP-200/100.

Casey,
Building has slowed CONSIDERABLY for me over the past 5-6 months. Cold weather, holidays, work and waning motivation hasn't helped. I've decided to go with the VP-100, so panel space is not much of a concern. However, mounting the control unit is still one of my many concerns. I'd like to fit it between the panel and forward baggage area so no baggage area is used up. Perpetually brain-storming.....

Another area you might consider mounting the Control Unit in an -8 is in the fuselage behind the rear seat. Some wire runs become longer, some become shorter. But it is a relatively open area.

Do the analysis for your particular situation and see if it makes sense.

Back