What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh Aircraft Camping

FlyingBanker

Well Known Member
Patron
I?m planning to fly my plane to OSH this summer for the big show. On the Aircraft Camping page they say the aircraft camping areas are segmented into two categories: General Aircraft Camping (North 40) and Showplane Camping (Vintage, Homebuilt, Ultralight, Rotorcraft, and Seaplane). Here?s my question: In order to camp in the Homebuilt Camping Area, does that mean I have to have my plane on display for judging, etc? Or can I camp in that area simply because it is a Homebuilt plane?

I?m planning to fly my plane to OSH this summer for the big show. On the Aircraft Camping page they say the aircraft camping areas are segmented into two categories: General Aircraft Camping (North 40) and Showplane Camping (Vintage, Homebuilt, Ultralight, Rotorcraft, and Seaplane). Here?s my question: In order to camp in the Homebuilt Camping Area, does that mean I have to have my plane on display for judging, etc? Or can I camp in that area simply because it is a Homebuilt plane?

You do not need to enter your plane to be judged to park/camp in the home-built camping area.

Hi Jim,
Just put the HBC sign in your windscreen, follow the flagmen and you will wind up in the right place 😀. When you register they will ask if you want your airplane judged.

Hope to meet you there.
Have fun!

Mark

Note on the Homebuilt camping/parking. They have a great pavilion with lots of benches, coolers, Grills, etc. Bring some fixins to eat! and get some drinks from the store when you get there (there are free shuttles to the stores). Participate in the Homebuilt Pavilion!

Pancake batter/syrup/eggs/bacon
Hotdogs/etc..

Another quick question. My wife has some physical limitations and will have some batteries that need recharging - specifically for a CPAP machine and for a mobility scooter. CPAP battery would need recharged during day and scooter battery needs recharged at night. Is there a place near the homebuilt camping where such batteries could be recharged without being in big danger of coming up missing?

The HBC pavilion has power outlets so you should be good to go. The only issue is sometimes all the outlets/power strips are in use.

Another quick question. My wife has some physical limitations and will have some batteries that need recharging - specifically for a CPAP machine and for a mobility scooter. CPAP battery would need recharged during day and scooter battery needs recharged at night. Is there a place near the homebuilt camping where such batteries could be recharged without being in big danger of coming up missing?

Every year they have improved the charging station and number of outlets available. I have seen a few CPAP batteries being charged. Hundreds of folks leave stuff to be charged unattended and I have not heard of any intentional theft. There have been some accidental situations though. There have been reports of people un plugging other’s stuff etc. Normal me first type activity. Then there are the folks that tie up outlets for days and days because they don’t remove them when they are charged.

As for the scooter, not sure about that one. The area to and from the pavilion is grass with a taxiway close by that they might let you drive it on up to the main walkways.

Last edited:

Should be no problem in the charging department. The first couple spots next to the pavilion are reserved for handicap parking. You may want to have a symbol in your window as you taxi up along with your HBC sign.

For electronics, it's nice to have a small rechargeable battery pack. You can charge it up and carry it in a backpack (or fanny pack :eek:) when walking around during the day. I have this one. Or you could try this one.

Technique: use a label maker to put name/phone number on the battery pack. I also put a note on it stating to feel free to unplug if it's fully charged so that others can use the outlet. I trust HBC campers even more than my own kids (who constantly steal my charging cables...the little brats).

Jim
I?m the new Chairman in Homebuilt Camping this year. All the replies are spot on. We do have some handicap areas we reserve close to the pavilion. The showers and more modern bathrooms do have stairs but we also have ground level wheelchair porta potties as well. In addition to the HBC sign you show the Marshaller, please have something ready to indicate handicapped. If they don?t taxi you near the pavilion in the back, please stop and inform them. Let me know when you plan to arrive and we?ll be watching out for you..
Best
Jerry Folkerts

Advice

Hello folks,

My RV8 is now out of the test flight phase and I have a clean unrestricted Certificate of Airworthiness!!!

I just read the info at EAA about OshKosh...this will be my first time attending...ever.

I’m going to camp under my wing. Do I have to pay for admission tickets and then camping tickets on top of that?

When does the Notam usually come out?

Any pointers for this newbie?

Thanks

Don

Hello folks,

My RV8 is now out of the test flight phase and I have a clean unrestricted Certificate of Airworthiness!!!

I just read the info at EAA about OshKosh...this will be my first time attending...ever.

I’m going to camp under my wing. Do I have to pay for admission tickets and then camping tickets on top of that?

When does the Notam usually come out?

Any pointers for this newbie?

Thanks

Don

Yes — the fee for camping is separate from show admission. The NOTAM is usually released mid-to-late May IIRC. As for advice there’s tons of posts on that but here’s a few tips:
— sunscreen
— hat
— comfortable walking shoes, preferably 2 pair
— rain gear
— shower shoes/ flip flops
— water proof bags to keep your clothes/ gear dry unless you are confident in your tents waterproof capabilities
— cell phone and wall charger
— good tie downs
— credit card!

Jim
I?m the new Chairman in Homebuilt Camping this year. All the replies are spot on. We do have some handicap areas we reserve close to the pavilion. The showers and more modern bathrooms do have stairs but we also have ground level wheelchair porta potties as well. In addition to the HBC sign you show the Marshaller, please have something ready to indicate handicapped. If they don?t taxi you near the pavilion in the back, please stop and inform them. Let me know when you plan to arrive and we?ll be watching out for you..
Best
Jerry Folkerts
Jerry, thanks for the additional info. I'll keep you posted. Dependent on weather, of course, hoping to come in on Sunday 7/21, time TBD. Sounds like it should work OK.

? credit card![/QUOTE]

Best is last line and or 💵 💰
Target across the street.
In case you forget anything.
Oshkosh loves us.

Boomer

Back