What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AeroLED lights and VP-X instructions

The Vertical Power installation instructions App E indicates that shielded cable should be used for AeroLED lights and specifies how to ground them. App E has become partly outdated.

According to AeroLED, they are now producing a "linear" voltage light that does not require shielded cable. As of this date, some older multi-voltage lights were still in the market though (e.g. Van's has the older ones and will start receiving the new ones in June 2017). Dean at AeroLED said that if shielded wire is used, the shield should be used as ground back to the avionics ground, but a ground to structure at the light, as App E indicates, in not recommended, in fact it's better not to do so.

I researched this prior to ordering the Pulsar NS180 (Van's website still says NS90, but they stock NS180 which has twice the LEDs) and Suntail nav/strobe lights. Van's has a better price for the combo than elsewhere. Also, AeroLEDs seems to have the best price on shielded 20AWG 3-wire cable; the only other place I found it was at SteinAir.

My right side AeroLED Nav light went out not long after I started flying so I contacted them via their website email. They mentioned the new lights with more LEDs and a single pulse (my current lights are 3 pulses) and offered trade me for my older ones. Though no trade for the tail strobe.

I grounded the shielded wire under the seats where the left and right wires meet. I have not had any problem with noise.

I grounded the shielded wire under the seats where the left and right wires meet. I have not had any problem with noise.

Ditto. I have one shielded 3 wire coming from the panel switches to provide power to the nav, strobe and landing lights. All lighting related shields are grounded under the seat.

Rev C of the VP-X manual was released a few days ago and App E has been updated. New manual is available on the VP website in the documents section.

I had the same LED's, all the wiring done by the book, much noise in COM, need to screw up the squelch to 6-7 (out of 10).

Now replaced them with WHELEN, squelch back on 1-2, absolute NO NOISE!

I love my WHELEN!

I do not have any connection to this company, they just have great products.

Back