What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does anyone know this RV-7?

JRFlyer

Hello all! I've been in the market for a while and am finally ready to pull the trigger on the right RV-7?in looking around, I've noticed the RV-7 linked below for sale for quite some time now and I was curious if anyone knew the aircraft, builder or could give an honest assessment of the build quality of the airplane. Seems like it's been listed for quite some time?over a year and the price has dropped several times from when I first saw it. PM if you would prefer. Thanks guys!

Joel

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/VANS-RV-7/2011-VANS-RV-7/1276753.htm

I too noticed this aircraft approx 18 months ago and will be looking forward to the response of forum members who have knowledge of the aircraft.

It's a beautiful plane built by a multiple-plane builder, nicely equipped, great cosmetics. It was for sale for $10K more than the current price way back when I was looking (January 2014).

It's hard to understand why it's still on the market....unless it's just a pricing thing.

I don't know much about the plane, but when it first went on the market, over two years ago, I called the broker that was selling it, and he was difficult. I couldn't get closeup detailed photos, or photos of the firewall forward. I was supplied with "20 foot photos". And when I asked questions that the broker couldn't answer, I then asked if I could speak directly with the owner / builder. I was not allowed. So I moved on. I really don't know anything about the plane, just the broker, and I don't know if that same broker still has the listing, or if the owner is now in charge of the sale? Hope that helps. And good luck with your search.

His first RV7 N360TR finished in 2003 was stunning. It is still viewable via the Airplane USA website. It sold for $99,900. I believe he was associated with Chapter 116. Try googling Tom Rogers EAA plane builder. He still lives in Salem NH. I won't post his contact details but he's quite easy to find.

Last edited:
RV7 for sale

It's a great airplane as I have flown in it many times.Also, helped on a few things during build. The build was at the 82IS in Illinois but he has moved since. Has a full interior. Room for two MGL's but only one installed. James cowl and pants. Just a hard part of the country to look at an airplane.

nicely equipped, great cosmetics. It was for sale for $10K more than the current price way back when I was looking (January 2014).

It's hard to understand why it's still on the market....unless it's just a pricing thing.

I agree that this is a beautiful plane and the builder's pedigree probably ensures a top-quality build, which as an experienced owner and beginner builder, I would pay more for without a second thought. Planes priced right don't last very long. This plane is VFR, OH engine (not saying anything wrong with that), OH and hub AD Hartzell, and no AP.

What happened to the wheelpants? There seems to be some post-painting fibreglass work on both pants? And they look like Sam James pants, not Vans PR?

I noticed the overhauled engine as well, and just below it says "field overhaul". What does he mean by that?

I noticed the overhauled engine as well, and just below it says "field overhaul". What does he mean by that?

All the log books are on the posted link. The TT on the engine is 3600+. All yellow tag inspections are photoed.

Does "field" mean he sent all the parts for inspection and assembled in a shop/hangar?

Overhaul

Field overhaul typically means the engine was assembled by other than a recognized engine shop. Could have been an A&P, for Experimental could be non A&P.
Regarding the wheel pants my first thought would be the inboard attach points were not adequately reinforced on the original build.
Massena NY is a tough place to get to. Add to that a less than cooperative broker and it is easy to understand why the airplane has not sold.
There are only two seasons in Massena, winter and Fourth of July.

Back