What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is this the next RV?

Well, I for one think it is awesome! I have been following this project for awhile on their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/HP-24-Sailplane-Project/200931354951 The efficiency of a modern glider is amazing. When I lived in Germany people would do cross countries in these things! So much fun! Ever done a winch launch? It is like you are in a silent rocket ship! And it gets you in the air for a fraction of the cost. I would rather be in the air in a glider than not at all! Cost of gas, props engines and etc... is ridiculous! Even more so in Europe, I am sure that in Germany there are more gliders than any other country in the world and for good reason! It is fun, great challenge and economical!

... with that said I do also love the RV-8 :)

I've ben kepign a close eye on this project as well - might be a VERY nice complement to a couple of RV's in the hangar when we live just over the hill from Minden..... ;)

Now if he can just make an electric self-launch version!

why would it be an "RV"? Bob Kuykendall (I apologize if i have misspelled your name) has said it was his intent to design a glider that would be affordable and able to be built at home.

"The HP-24 project is an attempt to develop and manufacture a modern, high-performance kit sailplane for construction in the home workshop environment. "

he's already pretty much designed and built the first one (or two?) of the planes. Not that it wouldn't be great to get help when it goes into whatever method of production, but vans isn't really set up for composite manufacturing of the size needed for the sailplane. new shop, new employees, etc etc

Bob will probably be along to clarify all my muddling shortly ;)

Real handy to know a fellow sailplane pilot who happens to have a company hangar and a few tons of lead shot.

The database search for the N- number N599GK says it's a Bradley Hill "Tetra 15" glider, serial number 001.

A web search for "Tetra 15" with glider or sailplane yields nothing else but this singular aircraft.

Could "Tetra 15" be secret code for RV-15 Glider?

HP-24

That is a great project!! I havn't checked it out in a couple of years and was suprised how far along it is. It looks outstanding. I fly a 160hp RV-3 that is loads of fun but I'll take soaring over power anytime. It's more fun and far more challenging than power. If they can work out a little sustainer engine for it so I could avoid long retrives and land outs, I may be standing in line to buy one.

I'm not sure how Bob Kuykendall's glider project became an RV just be Van being there?

I think a motor glider type kit would be cool...but not really in line with Van's existing production capabilities I wouldn't think.

Van's was a gracious host

Ken and Van were very gracious in allowing us the use of their facility and huge assortment of lead shot bags for the static test. Bob Kuykendall, frequent poster here on VAF, is the developer of the HP-24. I helped with the aero design. The prototype, now static-tested, is ready to fly.

But nope, its not a Van's project. Hopefully soon those of you that are interested will be able to place orders with Bob.

just a fyi since Bob K hasn't spoken up yet, I believe Brad Hill is Bob's partner/ owner of the demo aircraft. That is the only reason it isn't in Bob's name.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and encouragement!

Sorry I haven't posted to this thread earlier. I am running one of my Akafliegs this week, and I have a crew up a the shop making carbon fiber fuselage shells. It's pretty consuming work, and I haven't had much time left over for browsing VAF.

As Steve says, Van and Ken graciously let us use their hangar, and most importantly, their lead weight for the static test on the first set of wings. That saved us from either having to buy our own lead (it's pretty pricey!) or from using something more awkward like sand or cement or shingles. The lead shot bags are nice and compact for their mass, and they tend to stay in place even out at the tips where the local dihedral angle approaches 20 degrees during the test.

I've been following the RV-11 project since the beginning, and even had a look at it in 1997. The RV-11 in its current form uses wings from the HP-18 sailplane designed by Dick Schreder, and for which I sell plans and spare parts. But so far Van's only involvement in the HP-24 project has been encouragement, occasional bits of advice and insight into the kit aircraft market, and the use of his facility for the static test.

Anyhow, as Steve says, we hope to open up for kit orders not long after we get some performance and handling data back from Brad Hill's ship. The kit will be along the lines of a quickbuild, with the right and left fuselage shells bonded together. The upper and lower wing skins will come joined at the leading edge and the main spar, but with the upper aft wing skin omitted to allow access for installing the controls.

Thanks, and best regards to all (and a happy new year!)

Bob K.

First Flight!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, bit it seemed the best place to post this update:

The first aircraft out of the HP-24 tools and development project first flew on 27 January 2012 at Arlington, Washington. Subsequent flights by two other pilots showed that the aircraft has good stability and control, and everybody is raving about the handling.

Test_flight_28Jan12_5a.jpg

Thanks, Bob K.

Congratulations from me as well Bob! Please have an electric self-launch option ready in a few years for when we are living near Minden... :)

CONGRATS!!!

I was there that day. I think I was in the restaurant for the first flight. When I saw the picture you posted, it seemed oddly familiar for some reason:p. She looked great out there!

What is the reason for the wing tip design and ...

What is the reason for the wing tip design and is there going to be any experimenting with them at this stage. Tail wheel? Half way out the right wing there appears to be a bump - perhaps something in the background? 200 lbs water balast capability tells me it will be used for racing. Sure is pretty.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
The database search for the N- number N599GK says it's a Bradley Hill "Tetra 15" glider, serial number 001.

A web search for "Tetra 15" with glider or sailplane yields nothing else but this singular aircraft.

Could "Tetra 15" be secret code for RV-15 Glider?

No, it appears to be a secret code for a HP-24...:)

Brad Hill's Tetra-15 made its first flight on 27 January 2012. The Tetra-15 is the first sailplane built from the HP-24 project development and tooling.

Searched on "Brad Hill"

http://www.topix.com/hobbies/gliding/2012/01/first-flight-photos-of-the-tetra-15

Did this one disappear? (the Glidair)

http://www.hpaircraft.com/glidair/

Last edited:
What is the reason for the wing tip design and is there going to be any experimenting with them at this stage. Tail wheel? Half way out the right wing there appears to be a bump - perhaps something in the background? 200 lbs water balast capability tells me it will be used for racing. Sure is pretty.

Bob Axsom

Thanks, Bob!

Winglets like those are very common on sailplanes, they lower induced drag in key parts of the flight regime, and also improve lateral stability. Our winglets were designed by Steve Smith, who is on this forum and also designed the RV-10 wing profile. We have a high degree of confidence in Steve's design, and the only experimenting we'll be doing is to validate that we have executed it correctly.

The bumps on the wing are the fairings for the flaperon drive horns. There are two on each wing; one about two feet out from the fuselage, and another about 13 feet out.

Brad's ship does not have the ballast tanks (bladders, actually) installed in the wing, but we can install if and when it is time to do that.

Thanks again, Bob K.

No, it appears to be a secret code for a HP-24...:)

Brad Hill's Tetra-15 made its first flight on 27 January 2012. The Tetra-15 is the first sailplane built from the HP-24 project development and tooling.

Searched on "Brad Hill"

http://www.topix.com/hobbies/gliding/2012/01/first-flight-photos-of-the-tetra-15

Did this one disappear? (the Glidair)

http://www.hpaircraft.com/glidair/

Gil, I decided a while back that HP-24 would be the name of the development project, and not an aircraft type. As has always been the case, each builder is the manufacturer of record, and has the right and privilege of naming it whatever they want. To appropriate the nomenclature of naval vessels, I guess you'd say that the Tetra-15 is the first "HP-24 class sailplane."

At this point the Glidair is sort of on the back burner while we sort out the HP-24. I think we will still get around to making a homebuilt touring motorglider that will give the Carat a run for the money.

Thanks, Bob K.

Looks like a great following of interested pilots.

My order will be in for the motor glider. I look forward to that.

Nice glider. Congradulations

Not really into high wings, but I'd love to see Vans come out with a confortable, STOL aircraft. I think if it was designed as good as the other RV's - and was relatively easy to build kit... it would have huge success...

You know, something that would compete against the CH-750, Glastar, Highlander & company....

I apologize for the necropost, however i thought you might be interested to get a first person account of how the HP-24 (Tetra-15) flies. I was lucky enough to fly the Tetra last weekend and provide this report: If you want to see the pictures you can get a pdf of the report here: http://www.ssa.org/MyHome.asp?mbr=8292935490&show=blog&id=3789

The Tetra-15 is the first glider built as part of the HP-24 project. Brad Hill was the builder. Brad has a good track record of building gliders. He has also built a Russia and an Apis. The first flight of the Tetra was in January of 2012. Since then Brad has put around 500 hours on this glider, a real testament to the quality of the construction as well as the quality of the handling.

I happened to be at the Arlington airport for a day and Brad was kind enough to offer me a flight in the glider. I wasn?t going to say no! After a cockpit checkout I was on the line and ready to launch. Takeoff was performed with +1 Flaps. Brad?s glider has 2 positive detents for flaps. I had a quartering headwind which wasn?t very strong. Roll control was excellent in the early roll. The stick was held in the neutral position. Trim was slightly forward of its neutral position, perhaps 2/3 forward. As the speed built up I moved the stick slightly forward to lift the tail just a bit and let the glider fly off the ground.
On tow, the glider tracked straight as an arrow. I was able to fly extended periods without touching the stick in the smooth marine air near the airport. Everything was just as you would expect from a modern, well designed sailplane.

Off tow I first did a stall with full flaps and the gear up. Indicated speed at the stall was about 38 knots. The stall felt normal with some aerodynamic buffeting as a warning and a quick recovery once I moved the stick forward just a little. Then I played with the flaps a little just enjoyed the very slow descent rate. I didn?t go over 80 knots as there was no need. There was no thermal activity. I did do a series of steep turns which felt very good and tested the roll rate. The roll response was very good, I went from 45 to 45 in about 3 seconds. Control forces are just high enough to keep the roll from being twitchy. It had a very solid feeling.

By now it was time to land. The gear came back down and I set full flap for the landing. Brad usually does not use full flap for the landing but I wanted to see how steep of an approach was available and I like minimum speed touchdowns. I was impressed fully with the approach angle, in fact I had to ease off the airbrakes to almost nothing towards the end as I had slightly mis-judged and was heading for the beginning of the landing area instead of the middle where I wanted to touch down. Touchdown was slightly tail low and felt really nice. The only hiccup was that I was soon launched off a bump in the grass and back airborne! Oh well so much for getting a 10 from all the judges. We were back on the ground shortly.

All in all I was very pleased with the glider. The cockpit is large and comfortable. I am 6?1? and 210 lbs but Bob designed the glider for up to 6?6? and 300 lbs. The only thing I didn?t like about the glider was a few of the ergonomics in the cockpit controls. The flap and airbrake handles were really close together and it was easy to bump the flap handle and retract them while reaching for the airbrake handle. This has been corrected in the kit gliders. I also didn?t like the gear retraction handle but Bob has also changed this to be more conventional in the kits. The only quirk I found on the glider was that in the full flap position it rolled off to the left a bit, requiring slight right aileron to correct. I think this must be caused by a slight mis-rigging. Brad never uses the full flap position so he hasn?t been annoyed by it enough to track it down and fix it. He?s been too busy flying!

For more information on the HP-24 Project, check out their website http://hpaircraft.com/hp-24/. To follow along with current progress see the projects Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/HP-24-Sailplane-Project/200931354951. The first kit compliant glider should be flying in October of 2014 and there are at least 3 others in the pipeline at this time. I think this is one of the most exciting things happening in the sport at this time and I?m glad that I?ve had a chance to be just a little involved in it. If you have the opportunity to attend one of the Akafliegs I highly recommend it. You?ll get to spend a week working with Fiberglass, Carbon Fiber, and Kevlar and building real flight articles, perhaps for your own future HP-24.

'necropost' - I had to consult the urban dictionary for that one.

Thanks for the necropost - great to see this is working out.

Note to self - must try gliding, seems like a lot of fun.

Last edited:
S/N 002 HP-24 at Tehachapi over labor day weekend

Thanks Tony for re-awakening this thread. It is RV-related only in that it reflects new energy in the home builder movement. But there seems to be enough interest in the RV community in staying abreast of the HP-24 development that I hope it is OK to put in a shameless plug for Bob.

The annual experimental sailplane gathering at Tehachapi this year will feature Doug Grey's s/n 002 HP-24, "almost" ready to fly. They are working pretty hard to get it in flying condition, or as close as possible, for the event. So head on down to Tehachapi and see it.

I have to say I find it very personally gratifying to continue to hear from folks that Brad has allowed to fly s/n 001 and how much they love the way it flies. As a career aerodynamics researcher, I have only had the joy of seeing a very few things I designed go to flight, and it is wonderful to hear back how they work out.

I think Bob also really appreciates hearing the feedback comments on the cockpit ergonomics and other aspects of the glider. He has done an amazing job solving a very constraint-bound problem to fit the controls into the kits in a satisfactory way, and it naturally takes a few iterations. I think the kits have a nice cockpit layout that is respectable in light of anything that comes out of Germany.

This tread started with an acknowledgement and appreciation of Van's letting us use his facility and lead shot for static loading of Brad's s/n 001. Eventually we want to static test s/n 002 to higher g-loads, and Bob has been doodling with how to build a whiffle tree to do that. It will be fun to see what he comes up with.

And just to whet your appetite, stay tuned for other interesting developments out of Bob's shop that are even more RV-related.

Best!

The annual experimental sailplane gathering at Tehachapi this year will feature Doug Grey's s/n 002 HP-24, "almost" ready to fly.

Best!

I tried to Google it, but not successful.

When is the gathering in 2014 and 2015?

Thanks!

Thank you Tony and Steve for posting about my project here! It has been very gratifying to do sailplane development with so many talented and dedicated professionals and enthusiasts.

Is there a link to a web site, or anything?

Thanks,

The best thing there is is the esoaring.com website:

http://www.esoaring.com/

They just emailed the schedule of speakers to Experimental Soaring Association members:

Below is the revised time schedule versus the one published in the August Sailplane Builder. There will be handouts with the schedule when you register.

Saturday [30 August 2014]

0830 Dan Rihn: Rigid Midget Replica
0930 Jeff Byard: Weihe ("Vaya")
1030 Andy Kecskes: SGS 1-26 restoration
1130 Brandon Willis: Moldless Composite Sailplane Construction
Lunch Break
1330 Tom Weil: Soaring at California City
1430 Dan Armstrong: WinDancer ULS
1530 Al Bowers: Prandtl Wing Update
1630 Murry Rozansky: Oratex Covering

Sunday [31 August 2014]

0830 Phil Barnes: Regen Electric Flight (Sunday 1st slot)
0930 Dan Rihn: The Story of the ASW-20
1030 Dean Sigler: Electric Flight
1130 Bob Hoey: Flight of Birds
Lunch Break
1330 Floyd Fronius: GOAT/PIG Update
1430 Bob Kuykendahl: HP-24 update
1530 Jack Norris on props
1630 Membership Meeting (lots of things to cover - please p

1830 Dessert

Thanks again, Bob K.

'necropost' - I had to consult the urban dictionary for that one.

Thanks or the necropost - great to see this is working out.

Note to self - must try gliding, seems like a lot of fun.

Brought me back to my Necromonger days....

Back