What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

From Dreamer to Owner!

CuriousGeorge

Well, after countless hours of research I finally found a gem of a 3 to call my very own. It's time to go public, especially after King Doug posted a bunch of pics a few days ago. (Nice shots!) Naturally, I'm thrilled to finally be an owner instead of a voyeur reading about building issues and flying stories. I wish I could claim doing more than just writing a check, and it feels like I'm stealing the plane, as the builder Tom McIntyre, a frequent contributer on here, did all the work to construct and perfect a very speedy RV-3.

Big thanks to Doug for this site and the huge participation of many folks on here who take their time to offer opinions, experience, and suggestions. Doug will get another donation to record as soon as I finish this post, and should have had one from me already. The value of this site is huge, and it probably translates into value in our machines as well.

My first RV grin came after a factory demo ride in a 7 at Sun 'n Fun 3 years ago. With a military background plus civilian, these planes are winners for providing as close to a military flying feel while being very affordable, by comparison. I started out wanting a 7A immediately after that demo ride, thinking nose dragging would be more practical, but then being comfortable with my Citabria figured the 7 would be good, but that gave way to the centerline seating of an 8, but a 4 is almost half the price. Then I looked at this 3 and for a comparable quality 4 I'd have to come up with a bunch more bucks. If I could get a back seat for the same money, I would, but I'd have to wait for the right time to buy a 4 while this 3 was reachable (more or less) now. Chances are that "right time" would never come, and now I'm scratching out something big on my bucket list.

So enough blathering, thanks again to everyone who helped me along the way, and you probably don't even know you did, which is the best indicator of good character. I look forward to getting comfortable in the plane and patrolling the skies over FL in the winter and Maine in the summer and meeting in fly-ins here and there.

It's good to be an owner. Better to be a builder too, but I'll settle for owner.

Signature change to follow!

Congrats George! The offer still stands if you ever want a ride in my -4 (once I get the canopy back on :)) Hope to see the -3 some day and finally meet you in person.

Thanks Ryan, I'd still like that very much, especially since I haven't ever been in a 4. I think I'd prefer the closed cockpit version though...

We should definitely meet somewhere and get some air to air pics. My plane will be at mechanic "Monkey's" shop getting some upgrades professionally installed, but I'll be flying it from the DFW area down here in mid to late July. If I'm not pressed for time, I'll be making a few stops along the way and we might be able to connect. More later as the time approaches.

Thanks also for all the info you've given me along the way about your 4!

George

George,

I'll be in your flight path to Islamorda (Quincy, Fl) in July. Stop by 49FD for a potty break and a snack and let me take a look at your airplane if you can. I've almost finished an 8 and I love to show off my progress.

I think you have made a grand purchase....I got to fly Brian Wallis' 3 and it set me on fire to finish my project. Congratulations and happy flying to you!!!

David Watson
49FD

Thanks David, I'll put that on my list! The 8's in the hangar where my 3 is now look so big compared to the 3. I'll check back as the time approaches.

George

Come by if you can. With enough notice and proper timing and all of the stars in single file, I could even serve you a nice steak and baked potato.

Tailwinds,

David Watson
49FD

This plane has a steak sensor installed in its nose... or maybe it's just the pilot that does. Thanks for the invite!

Just ordered some Duckworth heat lamps... pricey, but from everything I hear, UFO quality beams.

George

Back