What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Experience With the Dynon AP...

Yes actually.

Tru Trak and Dynon also have found the same.

Direct exposure to both the Trio and Dynon problems, and the fact Tru Trak have been onto it before suggests there is more to it than meets the eye!

Given you are close to the action you will probably know the results before I do.

DB;)

Yes actually.

Tru Trak and Dynon also have found the same.

Direct exposure to both the Trio and Dynon problems, and the fact Tru Trak have been onto it before suggests there is more to it than meets the eye!

Given you are close to the action you will probably know the results before I do.

DB;)

I am directly aware of two RV-10 units flying the Trio servos and have good reviews on both. One of the pilots involved gave a rather glowing review of the AP (and the servo) performance on the Stratomaster list not long ago.
Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "force related" ?

I think I can say with some confidence that whatever the issue may be, it is not related to the servo - the Trio is quite a solid performer in my experience.

I am of course aware of the ease of which an AP can be matched perfectly to certain aicraft yet fail miserably on another. The RV-10 however is not an aircraft that I would classify as difficult to fly for an AP. The most difficult aircraft I have so far been involved with is a GP-4 and as far as I know, no AP has ever been able to fly this aircraft (except ours of course, but only properly after a few firmware updates and head scratching).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

The Dynon servos measure the force they are exerting, as well as the position, while they are engaged. They do this without "load cells" or extra hardware as well. We currently use this for pitch trim indications and have done this since we first shipped the AP.

On another topic, SkyView is getting enhanced pitch performance in the 2.5 release which should be out shortly, and this will of course roll into the D10/D100 products as well. We are hearing this is doing as much for pitch as 5.3 did for roll, especially in turbulence.

Last edited:
The amount of force delivered to the elevator can be an issue for the RV-10.

The issue you get is hunting around the set point. Its not that there is anything wrong with the servo from Trio/Tru Trak or Dynon, its the amount of force required and when in turbulence the sensitivity of the system.

My belief with what I have seen so far is the control resolution and the ability to deliver sufficient torque when needed.

The RV10 has a rather high load elevator unless perfectly trimmed, and its very powerful also, it needs to be at slow speeds, however at high speeds it is also very responsive. Small movement = lots of result.

It may be that some of us are very fussy and have picked up on this, but its not just an RV10 & Dynon phenomenon, others have the same symptom with different installations it seems.

Cheers

DB

Thanks!

I was gone for 3 days and came back to lots of good info. Thanks to everyone who weighed in.

It looks like there are several fine products out there, which is great for us consumers. It sounds like Dynon's improvements are around the corner, and thanks to Dynonsupport for weighing in on that. I'm glad to see some satisfied Dynon owners piping in as well. TT still has the historical edge, and their new EFIS package is attractive while being competitive with teh D-10A package. Competition is good.

I'm not a big fan of troubleshooting and running down software problems, but if the little Dynon D10A fits nicely into my panel without much effort, that's a plus. Final decision making to go. (I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats wondering...)

FWIW, the autopilot I use at work requires finesse and attention to operate smoothly, does stupid and annoying things on its own, speed up to 15 kias off, easily prone to VNAV errors either pilot induced or on its own, does more weird stuff when its speed/altitude parameters are exceeded, and surely cost probably 100times more the most expensive of our units. Hardly a set it and forget it unit. How it got part 121 certified when it commonly performs below private pilot standards, I don't know. Gotta love how good things are when the gov't gets involved.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to whatever system I end up with, and the info shared has been a real help. I'll pass on my review when the time comes for future researchers like me.

George

IFWIW, the autopilot I use at work requires finesse and attention to operate smoothly, does stupid and annoying things on its own, speed up to 15 kias off, easily prone to VNAV errors either pilot induced or on its own, does more weird stuff when its speed/altitude parameters are exceeded, and surely cost probably 100times more the most expensive of our units. Hardly a set it and forget it unit. How it got part 121 certified when it commonly performs below private pilot standards, I don't know. Gotta love how good things are when the gov't gets involved.

George

You have just, in a nutshell, described the advantages of uncertified EFIS systems and autopilots.

Uncertified means fast development. Example: Since I design all the MGL systems myself, if there is an issue with the AP reported, I simply climb into my trusty aircraft and see if I can replicate the problem or at least get a hint. Usualy, in this case I have my laptop with me and I will tweak the software as I go along. This has been ongoing since we started including an autopilot. I learn as I go and the result is obvious - it just gets better and better. If I am happy with an improvement, it goes into the release which happens on a frequent bases (sometimes as beta if I need input from others before making a general release). Nothing to sign off, nobody to speak to, nobody to pay, nobody to take for lunch, nobody that needs a bribe. Simple, effective, fast.

The same (or similar) happens with all the players out there and the result is what you see - magnificant EFIS systems that were science fiction a couple of years ago at rock bottom prices.

Competition helps greatly - we all watch each other like hawks and there is little chance anyone will get ahead. I have predicted years ago that EFIS systems will become not only very powerful but also much more similar in capability and price (pretty obvious of course) and this is happening now and it's by no means over and done yet.

Designing and making EFIS systems must be one of the great jobs out there (I get paid for flying - beat that !) and I for one look forward every day to get to work...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

While I cannot go into any detail, I can assure those that are interested in Dynon AP's performance, that Dynon is working hard on making it better, much better!!!! ;)

As always, you make up your own mind as to what AP you want to use.....My post are just based on my experience with the Dynon system. Yours may vary greatly due to the huge number of variables involved...

Last edited:
Have to second that. I cant say any more either...coz I just do not know what they are doing exactly but I can't wait to test the new version as I believe it will be smoothing out the A/P quite well.

Dynon are doing a good job!

DB:)

2 questions

For those with Dynon experience, think an SV-32 servo is enough for an RV-3?

And... I spent the morning searching for a PC-DI2BK data cable for my Lowrance 2000C. Even the posts here in the recent past came up empty. Anyone know of a source for them?

Thanks --

Update to the cable question - Lowrance and some other posts I just found said it's a NDC-2 101-36 cable. Same thing, if anyone has a recent source...

sure would think so

For those with Dynon experience, think an SV-32 servo is enough for an RV-3?

And... I spent the morning searching for a PC-DI2BK data cable for my Lowrance 2000C. Even the posts here in the recent past came up empty. Anyone know of a source for them?

Thanks --

George,
The SV-32 is plenty for my '8. I would think that the 3's forces would be lower. Probably much lower.

There are two NDC-2 cables on eBay

Same seller in the UK showing two cables. Check with them to make certain they are 101-36, but it appears they are.

Thanks for that info, Gasman - I think I found a cord on ebay. Hope it comes and is right, but it looks good. Lots of work for a $15 cable!

Sorry for you that I beat you to 8TM... but yes, I'm thrilled to have the plane. I was number 2 actually, number 1 had eaten too many donuts and couldn't comfortably fit in it! For once having a skinny non-football body paid off. Hope you find your bird soon...

...All of these comments may change when I get more time on the unit in different turbulence conditions. Time will tell. Right now I am happy as a clam that it works as well as it does with little to no tuning required on my end. You can't beat the price point to enter into an advanced feature set dual axis AP...More to come later!

Any more news? This topic is quite important to me and many others as I'm sure you know!

Since I am now running Alpha firmware I cannot comment on current AP performance.

Rest assured that Dynon is working hard at improving the performance of the pitch axis. That's all I can say about that..

Roll axis has been awesome since 5.3 was released.....

Since I am now running Alpha firmware I cannot comment on current AP performance.

Rest assured that Dynon is working hard at improving the performance of the pitch axis. That's all I can say about that..

Roll axis has been awesome since 5.3 was released.....

Thats a strange comment for a NON comment :D

I hope to Beta Test the new version in the Dash 10. Its going to be interesting to see how it goes, I expect great things to come shortly. I hope to do this pre Oshkosh, otherwise the Beta test will be delayed a few weeks.

DB:cool:

We have updated and released the improved pitch axis in the 2.5 software for SkyView and are working on 5.4 for the D100/D10A/D180 products. So anyone flying SkyView would be able to give their opinion. I'm biased, for sure, but in my experience, the whole AP is a huge improvement from just a few months ago. We've learned a lot about controlling an airplane in the last 18 months.

David, Bob,

Since Dynon decided to talk about it....someone with a keen eye could take a look at the AP instructions in the manuals for the Skyview and notice that there may be some differences in key areas that could give someone an idea on where they "might" see some changes that possibly could be in the future for the legacy product's AP....;)

Any more news? This topic is quite important to me and many others as I'm sure you know!

Thats a strange comment for a NON comment :D

I hope to Beta Test the new version in the Dash 10. Its going to be interesting to see how it goes, I expect great things to come shortly. I hope to do this pre Oshkosh, otherwise the Beta test will be delayed a few weeks.

DB:cool:

We have updated and released the improved pitch axis in the 2.5 software for SkyView and are working on 5.4 for the D100/D10A/D180 products. So anyone flying SkyView would be able to give their opinion. I'm biased, for sure, but in my experience, the whole AP is a huge improvement from just a few months ago. We've learned a lot about controlling an airplane in the last 18 months.

Last edited:
With as many additional settings as were added to the pitch axis in Skyview, you should be able to fine tune your plane to your hearts content!

I'm likin' what I'm readin'! Thanks for the heads-up Brian (and DS)!

Will stop by the Dynon booth at OSH to say hi, say thanks for the continued support, and to check out all the stuff I know I'm gonna wish I had!

And I just know the programmers are gonna make a breakthrough and develop an SV plug-in for the legacy EFIS systems...or is that what you're Alpha testing Brian!? :D (I'm kiddin'...happy camper here!)

Cheers,
Bob

Back