What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why do you guys like the RV-4 so much?

We need a few Hartzell C/S prop owners to weigh in.................because my Hartzell C/S equipped plane is rather lively, gyroscopic forces withstanding. It doesn't feel like turning a spinning bicycle wheel at all..

L.Adamson --- RV6A

It just may possibly be that not all people in all situations feel that a constant speed prop is the only rational choice. And it just may be that some of the people choosing a fixed pitch prop really know what they are doing have huge experience and qualifications.

Who would have thunk it since in some locations "everybody" uses constant speed props.
Larry,

Let me put it this way, when I was doing the car racing thing I used to get "students" come to our classes with their car talk about how great it handled. Compared to the pickup or SUV they normally drove, their car did handle good. But when you put them in a car that was designed as light as possible from the start, with light wheels, etc. then their good handling car all of a sudden started to feel like a turd.

Bring this back to my earlier post, I have driven identical cars except for the rims. Heavy aftermarket wheels can make a car feel like a turd when compared to the same car with light rims. (Same diameter and offset, one pair was cast and the light ones were forged.) The average person would never notice but someone who is used to ringing the most out of the car would be radioing to his/her crew within one turn.

While I?m sure your plane handles just fine, change out that heavy prop for a composite one and then go and put it through its paces. I?m not talking about taking off, doing a simple roll and loop and then taking a long cross country, for that you might as well be flying a minivan.

PS. Larry, this thread is about RV-4's so why are two RV-6A and RV-9 drivers commenting on it?

Larry,

Let me put it this way, when I was doing the car racing thing I used to get "students" come to our classes with their car talk about how great it handled. Compared to the pickup or SUV they normally drove, their car did handle good. But when you put them in a car that was designed as light as possible from the start, with light wheels, etc. then their good handling car all of a sudden started to feel like a turd.

On the other hand, you figured my plane would handle like a heavy truck. Turns out it doesn't, and actually performs better than some lighter weight aircraft. Perhaps there's something special about my building techniques.. :) I have not flown a composite propped RV. Just the C/S & a Sensitch (sp?).
However, since I do know two 6A owners who have flown each others aircraft with a wood & C/S prop............I'll ask.

While I’m sure your plane handles just fine, change out that heavy prop for a composite one and then go and put it through its paces. I’m not talking about taking off, doing a simple roll and loop and then taking a long cross country, for that you might as well be flying a minivan.

On the other hand, I know what a lively Pitt's feels like too. But then, it was a C/S too. (2SB) . The 6A C/S still doesn't feel like a minivan in comparison..

L.Adamson

Just wanted to point out...

...that according to Van's numbers, the -8 is a more efficient airframe than the -4.

24248_380987687803_540947803_4040591_4563451_n.jpg

That's all! :p

Andrew

RV-8

RV-whatever!

That's ok, there's very good info from each model that can apply to all.

I just saw the "Team RV" 9 ship formation team fly in the Key West airshow today. Only 1 RV-4, and his is a Sensy/O-360. He says he keeps up fine with the 8's on the team. The 4 ship hammerheads looked identical from the ground, and if gyroscopic forces were at work, a low speed 180 degree turn should be the most affected.

I talked to the owner and asked him why not go with wood if going FP, and he cited flying in the rain, among other things. Even a metal FP weighs a ton, in my mind. Oh, and Hartzell has a new (how new?) light weight c/s prop for RV's? $11 grand, so obviously that's in the equation as well.

http://www.hartzellprop.com/news.php?pr=225

There are obviously a lot of established opinions and preferences. I'm just looking for the reasons why. This guy was happy with his Sensenich/O-360 combo, but I don't know if that would be my choice. Somewhere I think I read that Van said his favorite is a 160 hp/CS, but I'm relying on a shaky memory for that.

I guess side by side comparisons are in order to really tell the difference. In the meantime, anyone with experience and justification for their opinions would be great to hear from.

George

That's not all, Andy

Even upside down in your neck of the woods! So many variables, but overall, probably close enough. From a prospective pre-built buyer's standpoint, it takes a lot more money to buy the extra 5 mph max on your graph, plus the bigger back seat. Due to limited funds, choices have to be made... Fortunately, I'm kind of skinny and don't have any bulky passengers in mind, and the broad consensus is that the 4 is more responsive, so that works for me.

But the 8 is hardly a plane to throw stones at, and without the price difference, it would be a very hard choice.

c/s vs wood

the C/S performs better no doubt, but the wood prop flies better. It is lighter, more aft CG which improves acro when solo. the wood prop is lighter with reduce gyroscopic effect, the wood prop will not accelerate as fast on the downlines so and the wood props will not build speed as fast so you can spend more time flying the airplane and less time looking at the ASI to make sure you dont go too fast....

I want to own a C/S but as for sunday afternoon flying, I stand by my statement that a wood prop 160hp -4 is about as good as it gets... Still trying to get a ride in a -3!

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

Butch,
You're a better man than me (or at least a better negotiator)...I've got 3 little kids and a wife who's not interested in flying and I find I just can't get a Sat or Sun morning to go off to the hangar...Sadly, it's forced me to sell my Canadian registered -4. I know I'll miss it terribly as it has given me 11 years of accident-free fun and enjoyment.

RV4

I bought a flying RV4... if I was to start a project, it would be another 4. Perfect airplane for my wife and I. Both average size people.
I have a MTOW of 1650# which give us flexibility.
I love the tandem seating but have been told by a 6 driver that "real men fly side by side" ??? huh?
Second choice would be an 8. Enjoy.

No Comparison...

I built my RV4 to replace my 46 T-craft back in the 90's and flew it for 13 years. My day job was flying F-16's so I had a very nice airplane to compare it to! If you fly by yourself, are less than 6' tall, like aerobatics and grass strips, the RV4 is the absolute most bang for your hard earned buck.
Now having flown all the RV's my favorite is actually the RV4 personified, the Harmon Rocket.
Reasons? John Harmon was an RV4 guy and designed the Rocket as a natural follow-on. His wife didn't like the 4's back seat so John went to work. The rest is history but the HR2 was flying well before the RV8 was ever pen put to paper. The Rocket is a much better flying (and looking airplane). The back seat has much more room and a angled headrest area and huge baggage aft of the normal RV4 area. Takeoffs are the closest re-creation (I can afford) of the the 27,000 lbs of thrust on the GE F110 in the C model F-16. It has a much more ergonomic cockpit(you sit higher and further from the inst panel) and visibility. I just like the flight characteristics better than the Eight and the four. It's also faster and more efficient overall. One more small item is operating out of short strips and high elevations, the Rocket is king.

Having put nearly 1500 hours on my 4 and approaching 1000 hours in my HR2, I must like them :)

Smokey
HR2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoJEX3hdXqw

Last edited:
Whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

200HP, wood prop, 1025 empty, 173 knot cruise @ 7.5 gph :D:D:D
Loop.jpg

Yeah, baby!!

(but I sold it.... :()

Back