What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What have I done?

Don Patrick

Well Known Member
Hello folks,

We'll, there's no turning back now! I purchased the emp kit for the RV-8 and the full RV tool kit with the DRDT-2 dimpler and the pneuamtic squeezer from Isham Tools. If I'm going to do it, I better get the right tools so I can do it right!

I'm looking at a slow build and hope for a completion in less than 6 years. It's great seeing all the excellent information here and knowing there is lots of help!

Hello folks,

We'll, there's no turning back now! I purchased the emp kit for the RV-8 and the full RV tool kit with the DRDT-2 dimpler and the pneuamtic squeezer from Isham Tools. If I'm going to do it, I better get the right tools so I can do it right!

I'm looking at a slow build and hope for a completion in less than 6 years. It's great seeing all the excellent information here and knowing there is lots of help!

You cannot go wrong with Isham! Im a big fan...5 star customer service too! Congrats!!

This website is extraordinary. Use it often.

Don:

We're building our second RV which does not qualify us as experts. But one thing I am certain of is that building an airplane, with so many skills and techniques to be learned, demands strong project management skills.

If you approach the build as a series of individual steps and can manage all of the research, money management, time management, and skills to be learned, you will succeed. For example, my experience with WEST products was dated so I took on simple tasks while I recollected the learned experiences with airplane #1. In other words, I allowed myself to regain the earlier knowledge before taking on more difficult fiberglass projects.

You are correct, this site is fantastic. Having the ability to speak to thousands of people who have done what you are embarking upon is a tremendous resource. If you haven't already done so, learn how to send pictures so that others can be even more helpful.

Best of luck!!

Thanks folks...spent the last couple of hours playing with the practice kit....boy do I have a lot to learn!!:eek:

Congratulations

Don,

That is great news. I have built two RV-8's and it is a fabulous kit and a wonderful airplane. Treat it like a thousand small projects and do them one at a time. I made long lists and checked items off one at a time. It is incredibly rewarding, but it is a marathon and not a sprint. Try to do a little something on it every day, even it it is just to clean up the shop or order some parts.

Have fun,

Dan Miller
RV-8 725 hours

Very cool! The more tools, the merrier. You will really learn to appreciate that pneumatic squeezer.

Welcome

Welcome aboard....make sure you drill some of thoes rivets out on the practice kit and get good at replacing them.......( ask me how I know )

Trying hard to have my emp finished by Sun-n-Fun....now I have to get back to the shop

Regards
Rich Denton

Congrats

I did EXACTLY what you did last April. I'm now working on the inside floors of the fuselage.

I'd echo the encouragement to do something every day if you can and try to enjoy each bit that you do.

Leave your garage door open, you will meet lots of new people!

Back