What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools?

Oysterbay

I'm New Here
New RV builder here. The shop is set up, the primer is ordered, and I inventoried the empennage tonight. I haven't ordered any tools yet. With all the major tool companies offering Vans tool kits, which company offers the best quality and value. Any advice from all you experienced builders?

there was a thread on here seems like last week. there is a search button on the top row, 3rd from right.

look up avery, brown, cleveland, and plane tools/ isham, that should cover them all.

myself, i liked things from several, and also bought some used but in excellent condition tools from brown tool.

i hate to say it (wish i could say one was better), but i've found avery and cleveland to be very similar in selection. I've had excellent service from all of them.

Hey there,

Welcome aboard. :) I use the Cleaveland tools... mostly because they are local for me, but also because I think they have great quality and service. I have heard the same about Avery.

I started with the "Get Me Started" tool kit from Cleaveland. Working out well so far - I'll add the rest next.

Isham was also great - great service and when i had an issue with a tool he replaced it immediately at no cost.

All are good

In all honesty, each tool kit offers good values on some of the tools in the kit, and others offer a better value on other tools.

If you really want to do your homework right, and I think you should. Download the complete tool list and itemized pricing of each tool from each company, and compare.

I ordered most of my tools from Cleveland, however I think some of their items are extremely overpriced and found comparable items from the other companies much cheaper. I even found many things on Ebay for even cheaper.

By doing it this way you may lose out on bulk discounts, but that is usually negated by the savings. Plus, you really learn what each of the tools are before they arrive.

And don't order the small heavy backriveting plate from any of the tool companies. Get some scrap from a local steel dealer. You will get a bigger better piece for much cheaper and save on the shipping.

Tools

I bought my tools from all over because nobody's "kit" had the specific tools I wanted. From Cleaveland I bought the "main squeeze" hand squeezer, a "C frame" dimpler/riveter, and most of my hand tools. The quality is excellent. Avery's quality is also excellent and I have bought a few things there. I personally give the edge to Cleaveland but they are both top notch companies with high quality products.

Aircraft Tool Supply in Michigan is also very good. I bought two 1/4" palm drills from them just because they were so reasonably priced. I've also used The Yard Store extensively. Prices are very reasonable and quality and service are very good. I found it was wise to check The Yard Store's price for anything I was considering. The savings was sometimes surprising.

Don't spend too much time trying to save three or four hundred dollars on tools. I'm sure I've spent between $2,500 and $3,000 on tools to this point. I'm including all types of tools in that figure, not just the type sold by Avery. I'm confident I'll spend another $1,000 before completion. It's just a tool intensive activity to build a plane. The key is to buy quality tools.

Last edited:
Tools

I have to give my vote to Avery Tools. I was flying from Georgia to California and overnighted at T-67 in the Western part of Ft. Worth to see my son who lived near there. I saw Avery Tools hangar and stoped in to say "Hi".

Bob invited me to put my RV-8 in his hangar overnight and wouldn't take any money. Bob is one of the "Good Guys of the World."

If you're a shopper at heart, you can pick and choose from different suppliers and maybe save some money. In the long run, shipping costs from so many suppliers from different parts of the country will eat up a lot of the savings.

Back