What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Quick horizontal stab question

aviationgeek84

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Got a lot done on my tail over the holiday weekend. Things are looking good. I had one quick question on the HS-405 rib..

I match-drilled it to the skin and found that it did not line up flush (the rib flange and the skin) on one side. The top is flush and everything else is good... but the bottom flange did not line up flush with the skin -- I have attached a picture. You can see the rib flange and the blue plastic from the skin on the bottom of the HS.

100_1647.JPG

My question: should I get a new rib and re-drill this to be flush? That's no big deal and I know I could do better. Or, am I never going to finish my airplane worrying about something like this? :)

Thanks!

I can't exactly tell which rib this is, and have long forgotten the numbers, but I think that will be covered by a faring, so as long as the edge distance is good, build on, and quit worrying

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. Yes - I think the edge distance is fine. It's the HS-405 rib that is on the inboard end of the left horizontal stab. I believe it is faired as well.

Yep, my skin sits the same way. You might want to remove the blue plastic from the inside. I remember my nose ribs were a pretty snug fit.

Not sure if you've drilled the nose rib to the spar and 405 rib yet. The instructions seemed backwards to me, so I drilled them from the nose rib back into 405. That way I could set my edge distance on the same part as what I was drilling and couldn't hit anything but the middle of the 405 flange.

Chanler,

Thanks! My skin was a snug fit, too... but once it is on you can tell that it fits well. ;) I'll probably pull the blue plastic off soon.

Back