What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upgrades & Extras

canadianjoe

I'm New Here
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum but have loved the responses and feedback so far.
I have watched quiet a few Youtube videos and and following some current builds and have been doing a tonne of reading. I know when it comes to primer the debate seems to go back and forth a lot so I'm still trying to figure out my own path on that. But in regards to some of the 'extras' or 'upgrades' you see around for examples; some part that helps lock the doors, I saw something about a pitot tube that is heated instead of standard, wing tips that were different then stock.
Is there a list of possible changes to the plans that most people agree on?
I'm a new PPL and was hoping to continue my training with this RV-10 in the future (once it's finally built). I want to get my instrument rating in this aircraft, is there something in the build process that would have to change(other then the panels being IFR)?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide,

Joe

A few thoughts:
A heated pitot is not required by law, but most ifr planes have them. Pitot tubes seem to pick up ice faster than anything else. I personally like the newer ones that are thermostat controlled.
Give a lot of thought to back ups, and ?what if?. The -10 is an all electric airplane for nearly everyone. What instruments will you have if there?s a main buss short? How long can you fly on a back up battery?
Everyone has their own idea about avionics. Since you?re not yet rated, ask your cfii, other ifr pilots what they think is minimum required equipment. But ultimately, the responsibility is yours.
As to avionic brands, everyone thinks they made the best choice - me too.

Hi,
Thank you both for your suggestions. I have taken note and will add it to my ever increasing list of things to look at.
Oren, your site is full of information, thank you for all the time you took compiling it. It's much appreciated for a new builder like myself. I'm now looking at the front wheel / front axle issues you mentioned as well as everything else on your list.
Would you recommend I keep working out what options I would want before I actually order the parts? I keep wanting to pull the trigger on actually ordering the tail cone kit as well as the tools but I keep getting side tracked with more questions and options to the build. I have a general idea on what I want but I don't want to get going on the kit only to realize I should've put something in or changed something right as I get going on it.

Thanks again for all your time and effort,
Joe

So, it's generally good to have an idea, but for the empennage there's not much you need to customize that you can't get to later. Off the top of my head, only thing that's probably easy to do in the empennage build but gets very hard later is to put a conduit in the vertical stabilizer if you want to have anything up there at all later on. Otherwise most of the mods and upgrades sort of hit you in the face when you get to the baggage area and need to start thinking about wire runs and antennas.

I had a general idea of what sort of mods I thought I wanted, then crossed a significant amount off that list once I had a real appreciation for how much work going off plans really is.

+1
Getting started on the tailcone is a good, smallish investment. You?ll figure out if building is for you, or not. If not, best to find out before you?ve sunk a large amount of cash. And there are pretty much no mods suggested for the tail, certainly nothing that can?t be done later.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I have taken note and will add it to my ever increasing list of things to look at.

Joe, there are always things to improve, but beware...it's easy to fall victim to a dread homebuilder's desease called "Optionitis". Symptons can be as benign as an empty wallet, but quite a few cases go all the way to terminal, i.e. never getting the airplane finished.

I second Dan H's comment

Welcome to this great community,

My advice from someone who over analyzes things: If you know you want to build and the RV-10 is your choice, just order the tail and get started. There are not many mods you cannot add later. Any mods for the wings and Fuselage can be decided later.

If you are not sure about building, order the practice kits or better yet, when possible due to Covid-19, take an EAA sheet metal class.

The only 2 things I wish I had done, at one point, was to put an electric trim tab in the rudder while building and to run conduit to the top of the VS for a NAV antenna.

Now, looking back and with some words from people I respect, I am glad I did not put in a trim tab. I will instead use a spring biased system in the tunnel. I still do wish I put conduit in the VS for the NAV antenna, but I will figure out a way to get the RG400 wire there in a safe way.

I did upgrade the elevator trim control brackets to a solid machined bracket, and installed the Cleaveland static ports, but those are very easy add-on's whenever needed.

Enjoy the build

Michael

Joe, there are always things to improve, but beware...it's easy to fall victim to a dread homebuilder's desease called "Optionitis". Symptons can be as benign as an empty wallet, but quite a few cases go all the way to terminal, i.e. never getting the airplane finished.

Nice...it is definitely a balancing act to get the airplane fitted the way you want all the while adhering to the KISS principle.

The KISS principal seems easy in concept but is actually very important. It affects the progress of your project, its overall weight, overall cost, its future maintenance difficulty (always consider this one), and the potential sources for pilot mis-operation.

Also, it's entirely possible that there will be additional options available in the future, some of which you'll preclude if you buy what's currently available. The approach I recommend is to do your homework now, like you're doing, but decide at what point you will need the goodie and hold off buying it until then. As has been said, things change.

Dave

Thank You

Hi All,
Thank you for all your help. I think I've decided that building is the best way to go but I may try a practice kit just to see how everything goes.

I think I'm over analyzing things because this is definitely the biggest project I've taken on for recreation purposes and I don't want to mess up what could turn out to be a great plane for me and my family to enjoy for years.

Thanks again for all your replies, this a great community.

Joe

Handle rack gears

Whatever you do for upgrades I would NOT cut your gear racks on the handles per Vans instructions. This limits the pin extensions on the doors. Safer to have more fuselage penetration with the pins and it's expensive if you have to replace them later.

Whatever you do for upgrades I would NOT cut your gear racks on the handles per Vans instructions. This limits the pin extensions on the doors. Safer to have more fuselage penetration with the pins and it's expensive if you have to replace them later.

You have more details for this to put in my notes?

To OP:

Don't overthink, buy and pursue.

I have been working on my tail, and the mods list for the tail is all retrofitable for what I am doing.

Showplanes Carbon Fiber Top
Garmin GSA-28 Servo Bracket for Yaw Damper
Garmin GSA-28 Servo Bracket for Pitch Control
Equipment tray behind bulkhead.

I am also considering, but haven't done research, on putting ground power plugs in the empennage and wanted to lean on a few people with experience in the local area and here when I get a post drafted up.

Back