What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Reviewing a RV-9A landing accident last week (28Feb2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPX

Well Known Member
Sponsor
[ed. Lotsa speculation going on in the replies - always happens. Let's hold off per the rules (#2) until the FAA says something (I closed it). Glad they are OK. Thanks. v/r,dr]

On Friday, a RV-9A had a landing accident at MYF, Montgomery Field, in San Diego. I happened to see the airplane on eBay already (!) and dug a bit deeper to see what I could find.

Really, hearing the ATC audio and seeing the FlightAware track makes me sad. One can visualize the chain starting between the ATC audio, and the FlightAware data.

- First attempted landing resulted in a go-around
- Second landing, ATC requested a short approach.
- FlightAware data shows entering the pattern at a groundspeed of 140 knots.
- FlightAware data shows a groundspeed of 111 knots at 200' AGL

For those not familiar with the RV-9A, the normal "over the numbers" speed is somewhere around 55 - 60 knots indicated, depending who you ask, weight, etc.

Out of respect to the pilot, I wanted to stick to facts in this post. I do believe that the pilot is here on VAF, and I also believe that none of us should feel like this type of accident would never happen to us. You just never know.

My thoughts after assembling the bit that I know.
1) Don't let ATC pressure you to do something that you may not be comfortable with (for example, a short approach).
2) If you're too fast on final, go around.. if you're fast on the next attempt, go around again. Keep trying until your speed is correct.

Hopefully this post, and the unhappy ending for the RV and the pilot, will come to mind when one of us is in a situation that a similar accident chain may be starting.

The best news - no injuries, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer. Glad all are fine. One of the few with a BRS installed.

s-l800.jpg

s-l800.jpg

s-l800.jpg

Lucky that it did not flip over. The nosewheel photo shows what appears to be an anti-splat brace installed.

Lucky that it did not flip over. The nosewheel photo shows what appears to be an anti-splat brace installed.

Interesting to note that this pilot has had two nose gear collapses in the last year, and neither one resulted in a flip over.

I sure would like to know the wheel bearing configuration on this plane.

Well, since the first report references ?landing fast,? and this second incident has a recorded groundspeed just before landing at 200? AGL of 111 knots, my assumption is that the wheel bearings probably aren?t at play here.

I only have 100?ish hours in the -9A, but I?d say that if I was 200? AGL at 111 knots groundspeed on short final, I?d be very concerned about whether this landing would be safe and successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back