What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ASA New Product Video is up! (July 2014)

...Try this! If you need more just let us know. Thanks, Allan...:D

Allan I already asked what kind of switch to use but need to know if one of the switches you provide with the kits is large enough to operate two EZ-Cool doors together. I'm running out of space on the switch panel and wanted to control them both together anyway.

Allan I already asked what kind of switch to use but need to know if one of the switches you provide with the kits is large enough to operate two EZ-Cool doors together. I'm running out of space on the switch panel and wanted to control them both together anyway.

... Yes! The switch is perfect for two EZ-Cool Flaps, and a 1 amp fuse or breaker is all that is needed to protect them. Thanks, Allan...:D

does anyone have a pic of the wiring they did on the back of the switch?
Im not sure if i need to actually solder a small wire between the black and red poles (the ones that cross over the middle pole in the diagram. or is this done internally in the switch?

yeah.. im not a good electronics person...

... Here is an updated wiring diagram for two EZ Cool installation...:D

does anyone have a pic of the wiring they did on the back of the switch?
Im not sure if i need to actually solder a small wire between the black and red poles (the ones that cross over the middle pole in the diagram. or is this done internally in the switch?

yeah.. im not a good electronics person...

... This is a drawing of the back of the switch! Just follow the drawing exactly and solder in the jumpers.
Thanks, Allan...:D

... Here is an updated wiring diagram for two EZ Cool installation...:D

Allen,
Do you have a picture of the switch that you can post? Or what is the dimension of the switch on the back side of the panel? I have very limited space in my panel and was wondering if the LED/Switch are part of the same item or two separate thing that can be mounted at different locations.

Allen,
Do you have a picture of the switch that you can post? Or what is the dimension of the switch on the back side of the panel? I have very limited space in my panel and was wondering if the LED/Switch are part of the same item or two separate thing that can be mounted at different locations.

...The switch measures .500"X .525"X .560" deep, very small. The LED is separate, measures .125" and can be installed wherever you desire. Thanks, Allan...:D

...The switch measures .500"X .525"X .560" deep, very small. The LED is separate, measures .125" and can be installed wherever you desire. Thanks, Allan...:D

Thanks. I was puzzeld by the drawing as it has specific measurements between the LED and the switch.

With regard to the oil temp question, I recently installed a 0 time O360 in my 6-A. The oil temps had been at 240. I took the oil cooler to a radiator shop and had it flushed which brought the temp to 230. Then installed 2 cowl flaps and now the oil temp never goes above 215.

John Morgan

With regard to the oil temp question, I recently installed a 0 time O360 in my 6-A. The oil temps had been at 240. I took the oil cooler to a radiator shop and had it flushed which brought the temp to 230. Then installed 2 cowl flaps and now the oil temp never goes above 215.

John Morgan

... What oil cooler do you have? Where is the oil cooler mounted and can you post a photo. You should be able to get the oil temps below 200 without too much effort. Thanks, Allan...:D

I did not build but oil cooler is on the right side of the Cowl and vented to the outside which I suspect makes the temps higher. A& P who put the motor together says oil temps below 215 are good as it boils out any water in the oil.
Anyone have an opinion on either issue?

John Morgan

Counter sink the cowl

I'm installing a couple cowl flaps and was thinking about using some Tinnerman washers and screws to fasten them to the cowl. Can I countersink a honey combed cowl enough to seat the washer or will that compromise the cowl/structure in some way?

Allen's video suggests that simply epoxying the flange to the cowl is sufficient since the internal pressure exceeds the ambient pressure. Is that also true when the cowl is open? Seems that there would be some moment at the aft portion of the flange that would want to separate the flange from the cowl.

Dale

I first used a button head screw and washer, but even though I packed the edge of the honeycomb with resin/micro, the part by the screw crushed a bit.

I wanted a nicer smooth look so I went with the countersunk screws.

I took out the button screws and made a very careful slight countersink with a dremel grinding tip (gotta watch the honecomb will cut fast) and used a tinnerman and flat head screw and it came out fine. Put a little resin/micro in the countersink area for strength to prevent more crushing.

ASA Cowl Flaps

I installed two flaps in my RV7 (IO-360-Horiz Induction). Cooling is now a non issue in all conditions I've flown since install. I did have a motor go out, (replaced, no question).

I did find that there was a bit of clearance interference with the electric fuel pump when the starboard flap closed. I didn't take that into consideration when I chose the mounting spot. I trimmed/filed down one side of the flap edge and gave myself a bit more clearance. All is good now.

I also put aluminum tape over the wire and the actuator thinking it may protect things from heat. Will it help? Time will tell.

Overall, I'm glad I did it.

Cowl flaps ASA and VPX sport

Hello,

I plan to install two cowl flaps ASA in my RV7 finished from 3 years, and I would like to connect them with my VPX sport but I only have one port available. So is it possible or not ?

in advance thank you for your reply
Sylvain

It should be fine

I would contact Allan with that question, but you should be fine. I?m not using a VPX but both of my cowl flaps will operated via the same circuit and controlled with one toggle switch.

Hello,

I plan to install two cowl flaps ASA in my RV7 finished from 3 years, and I would like to connect them with my VPX sport but I only have one port available. So is it possible or not ?

Sylvain

Both of mine are connected to one port of my VPX-Pro, works fine.

Hello,

Sylvain

?.Here is a diagram for wiring them up. You need a DPDT switch, and yes
you can wire them together. They only pull 200 m-amp each. Thanks, Allan :D

VPX

Hello Brantel,

Did you connect your cowl flaps on a specific port or a normal port ?
Chad from Vertical Power just said me it is impossible to connect cowl flap on a VPX because there is only one specific port for the Flaps but nothing for another device.
Or perhaps the VPX Pro is different than the VPX sport ?

Thank you
Sylvain

Regular flaps....not cowl flaps.

I?m sure Chad is referring to the regular flaps...not ?cowl flaps?. If he said that there?s only one port for them, I?m sure he just misunderstood you. I had the VPX on my other airplane and I remember there being one specific pin to connect them to to operate the flaps.

VPX diagram

Hi Brantel,

Here is a little diagram of VPX connections. The switches are only simple contact et they don't carry power.
So I don't see how ou can extend AND retract the cowl flap with only 1 port.

Please, can you explain how you connect it ?

In advance thank you
Sylvain

Hi Brantel,

Here is a little diagram of VPX connections. The switches are only simple contact et they don't carry power.
So I don't see how ou can extend AND retract the cowl flap with only 1 port.

Please, can you explain how you connect it ?

In advance thank you
Sylvain

I misunderstood your post. I only fed the DPDT switch (similar to a flap or trim switch) with power from one of the VPX circuits. I do not ?control? the cowl flaps with it. Again, sorry for the confusion!

Yes the way Brian has the switch wired works...and yes I was referring to the flap circuits being the only way to "control" a motor.

Cheers,
Chad

port protected ?

Hi,

So, if I understood correctly, the diagram in that case should be like that ?

A question : is the VPX port protected with the internal fuse ? and how to set it in the configuration ; always open ?

in advance thank you
Sylvain

Yes, that is the way to wire an appropriately rated switch to control output power.

Yes, the VP-X will protect the wiring. Set the breaker value to the appropriate level for the current expected. Set the pin to always on.

Question On ASA Cowl Flap Actuator and VPX

The VPX installation manual on Page 16, Paragraph 4.12 states to not use the VPX to power linear actuator motors that have a possibility of binding at the end of their travel.

I also am planning to use an ASA cowl flap and VPX, and have been wondering about whether this is an issue, especially with a very low current device like the ASA actuator. Is the ASA cowl flap actuator the type the installation manual is referring to?

I seem to recall a thread a while back where a binding cowl flap actuator caused a problem in a VPX system.

What is the thought on this?

cowl flaps position for cutting

Hello,

I am going to install my cowl flaps and I don't know exactly where to cut my cowl. There is no indication on the A.S.A sheet. I read somewhere 3 inches from the rear of the cowl.
Is somebody to help me ?

In advance thank you
Sylvain

Hello,

I am going to install my cowl flaps and I don't know exactly where to cut my cowl. There is no indication on the A.S.A sheet. I read somewhere 3 inches from the rear of the cowl.
Is somebody to help me ?

In advance thank you
Sylvain

Here are a few photos that will help clarify the location for your Easy Cool
flaps. If you can give me a call I am certain I can save you a lot of time
and work on your installation. Thanks, Allan... :D

Thank you Alan

Hello Alan,

Thank you for your message. My english is not very good, so a call should be difficult for me. Is it possible you give me the distance between the rear of the cowl and the cut line. Is it 2 or 3 inches ?

in advance thank you
Sylvain

Back