What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv10 Tug

woxofswa

Well Known Member
After almost five years of flying the RV10, yesterday I got the pleasure of pulling it into its new vacation home hangar for the first time. There is a slight upslope into the hangar from the taxiway and even a bit of side slope initially. About halfway up the approach apron it dawned on me that if that if it had been even a tiny bit slick I would have been in prime position for a concrete enema. The other side of the taxiway is a fairly steep wooded ravine and I shudder to think what would happen if it got away from me.

I haven’t really paid attention to this point on powered tugs, but I guess it’s time.

I would definitely prefer electric. Any comments or suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a Best Tugs Alpha that I really like. I haven't used it for the 10 yet but use it on a DA-40 and a RV-9 until the 10 is built. It is pricey, but great product.

Alternatively, since it's an upslope into the hanger, you might consider a winch connected to the tail tie-down ring.

I've got a couple of them. One is the Tow Buddy from Wag Aero. That one is pretty nice and plug and play with the RV-10 if you order the right sockets for the fairings. You can attach it without bending over, and it has forward and reverse with speed control. It's really not a bad unit at all. BUT, any time you need to turn the plane, it's a bit heavy and involves sometimes lifting it or hopping it sideways to get the nosewheel to turn. It's definitely doable, and it's hard for me to imagine any of the cheaper tugs being truly "easy" to turn the RV-1 wheel. This one is a single-wheel tug, which should be easier than the 2 wheel models, but in practice it doesn't seem to matter much. When you need to move this tug a long distance, you can tilt it back onto it's casters and move it pretty quickly.

I also have a minimax that I got from another RV-10 owner. That one is much smaller and lighter, but, you have to bend down and spend a lot more time attaching it and lining it up, and it likes to fall over when you're trying to attach it. Once it's connected, the drill does move it ok, although maybe a little slower than the other one. I have had a shear pin break on that one also, from going uphill, and then it freewheels. It's well made, and smaller, but with 2 wheels, I don't think it actually steers any easier, despite it having a swivel (more of a sideways tilt, actually) to the forks in front. It's also pretty slow once it's pushing a plane, and depending on your slope I wouldn't recommend it.

That "best tugs" tug is about the easiest looking tug I've seen, but I haven't personally used one and can't vouch for how easy it is to hook up. I personally prefer my Tow Buddy to the MiniMax simply because if you have to bend over to hook the tug up and attaching can't be done while standing, I tend to just forget using the tug at all and just try to muscle it around.

And, when it's real icy up here in the north, I have a winch that I can use to pull them by the tail back into the hangar, as that is sometimes the only realistic thing. That is far cheaper than either of those tugs, and to be quite honest, easier to connect and use. The only issue with that is that you want to absolutely be on the tow bar when going backwards and you can't let that nose wheel get wonky at all. I modified one of the Harbor Freight electric hoists such as #62853/69739 and #62854/62768, to use an iphone as a remote control for it, with variable time limits to how long it retracts. It takes maybe 1min to retract the plane into the hangar. You don't want to go too fast, and you don't want to go for more than maybe 10-20 seconds at a time, because if it gets out of line, it could do serious damage quick. Ideally a press-and-hold-to-run button would be what you'd want.

If I had to get rid of all but one of the devices, I think I'd dump the tugs, because at my place I can definitely get the plane parked facing away from the hangar and use the hoist, and that method involves the least amount of work and lifting and connect time. But the tugs are nice if you want to run it all the way back from the fuel pumps or something.

I believe it would too. It?s been a while now, but I believe there was a slight difference in speed between the two. I chose the bigger one I think because it was just slightly faster.

After almost five years of flying the RV10, yesterday I got the pleasure of pulling it into its new vacation home hangar for the first time. There is a slight upslope into the hangar from the taxiway and even a bit of side slope initially. About halfway up the approach apron it dawned on me that if that if it had been even a tiny bit slick I would have been in prime position for a concrete enema. The other side of the taxiway is a fairly steep wooded ravine and I shudder to think what would happen if it got away from me.

I haven?t really paid attention to this point on powered tugs, but I guess it?s time.

I would definitely prefer electric. Any comments or suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I?ve got a Best Tug and use it all the time for my 10. It?s the greatest thing since sliced bread and would challenge anybody on here with the system they use against Best Tug. It is very easy to hook up, no bending over, and pulls the airplane easily. It is expensive but so glad I have one.

:) The best tug is definitely an awesome way to go. No argument there. And, if someone is going to need a tug for EVERY flight from their home base, or they have a real good slope, I would encourage people to check them out. It's not going to appeal to anyone who is a "it's gotta be cheap" kind of buyer, so don't even bother to google them if that's you. But as you said, I doubt people will find a better tug out there. For people needing a tug only occasionally, I'd look into the smaller ones. I probably only use mine less than 10 times a year, and generally only on the RV-10 when I want to go all the way from the fuel pump to the hangar. (200' maybe) The tail winch is simple and probably 30x less expensive than a best tug, but if you're going to use it every day, I would not go that route. If you're only looking for wet days, then it would maybe be worth it, especially if those are rare in your climate. I'll put it this way...if you're willing to spend $2000 on a tug, I'd try to just up your spending limit and go all the way to the Best. But if there's no way in heck you'd spend $2000, then you're going to have to look at all the far inferior tugs, and that's when you really have to look hard to find what you want. (and realize you may not be 100% satisfied in the end)

Where I am now, I can't see spending that kind of cash, but add 10-20 more years to my age, or put me in a different hangar with a slope and I myself would absolutely fork over the cash for it.

I got the Best Tug because I'm 36 and have had two back surgeries. The Air Force won't like me having a third!! I looked at it as an investment as I hope it will be around just as long as the airplane will be. Even though I could push and pull it now I'd rather save my back for more important things like cleaning the gutters and digging holes!

:) The best tug is definitely an awesome way to go. No argument there. And, if someone is going to need a tug for EVERY flight from their home base, or they have a real good slope, I would encourage people to check them out. It's not going to appeal to anyone who is a "it's gotta be cheap" kind of buyer, so don't even bother to google them if that's you. But as you said, I doubt people will find a better tug out there. For people needing a tug only occasionally, I'd look into the smaller ones. I probably only use mine less than 10 times a year, and generally only on the RV-10 when I want to go all the way from the fuel pump to the hangar. (200' maybe) The tail winch is simple and probably 30x less expensive than a best tug, but if you're going to use it every day, I would not go that route. If you're only looking for wet days, then it would maybe be worth it, especially if those are rare in your climate. I'll put it this way...if you're willing to spend $2000 on a tug, I'd try to just up your spending limit and go all the way to the Best. But if there's no way in heck you'd spend $2000, then you're going to have to look at all the far inferior tugs, and that's when you really have to look hard to find what you want. (and realize you may not be 100% satisfied in the end)

Where I am now, I can't see spending that kind of cash, but add 10-20 more years to my age, or put me in a different hangar with a slope and I myself would absolutely fork over the cash for it.

Since I'm older and frugal (except when it comes to things on the panel), I'm hoping to build my own tug this summer from parts. I really like what Ernst Freitag did. The casters he added solved the problem with moving the single tire. Now I just got to find the time!

I appreciate the input. I have two hangars. The home base one is flat with nothing more than a door track to negotiate. I’ve been using a simple tow bar there with little issue other than advancing age. The Airpark hangar has a bit of slope. I decided to give the Minimax a try, in part because I can actually carry it with me on occasion, and I can buy two for the price of the rest. If it can’t handle the Airpark hangar with the slope, I am intrigued by the winch idea. I may end up with a BestTug at the Airpark if the Minimax doesn’t cut it.

Last edited:
I bought http://www.powertow.com/ThunderVolt-12-Volt-DC-Aircraft-Tug-_p_17.html back in 2008 when I was finishing my airplane. Still working fine. I'm on my 2nd battery. When I replaced my Odyssey 925, the old one was still working fine, but was about seven years old, so I decided it was time to replace. I put the old Odyssey in the tug to replace it's seven year old battery, and it has been just fine. I had to modify the battery box on the tug a bit for the Odyssey. Happy customer.

I wanted an electric tug for my -10 and did all the research and ended up with nothing. The problem is the wheel fairing not leaving enough room. Ones that work for the Cirrus don?t work for us. The one that is hard to steer is not an issue for some, but I need to do 90 and 30 degree turns. The track models are out because of the cost.

All my searching inspired a neighbor with a -6A to try and develop his own. With a used $190 wheelchair, some big scrap aluminum channel from a boat project, scrap metal, some small wheels, a bunch of welding, hardware store bolts and a lot of head scratching and rebuilding the result is amazing.

The stearing comrtol from the chair (a stick and speed control) is held in your hand. The two drive wheels and the caster wheels from the chair let it do a 360, the wheels steer by varying their speed, even turning in different directions in a tight turn. There is a platform with a wheel capture mechanism. You drive up to the nose, line up the platform, drive it under the wheel and drive away. The chair control has variable speed and is faster than you want. It easily turns as tightly as the nosewheel allows. Get it to your destination and push a button added to the controls to release the plane and backup the tug.

The only issue with it is going over obstacles, the platform is about 1/2 inch off the ground. His plane has the standard nose wheel fairing.

Would include photos if it were easier. I am keeping an eye on Craigslist for cheap working chairs.

DIY Tug

I made my own with a 24v 350w scooter motor and related parts that I bought on Amazon. If I had to do it over again I would have used a 500w motor. It uses 2 odyssey pc680 batteries in series and has a thumb throttle. The motor has a gear reduction built in and has an output through a 9 tooth sprocket. A bicycle chain sends power to a 44 tooth gear attached to the wheel.

https://youtu.be/XbOx4KMyZQs

RV-10 tug

That was true, I think its been resolved. We tested it late 2018 and it clearly was hitting the front fairing, they had a way of sliding in and locking in and were going to go back and make the mod. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to go out and test the new version. It does work very well.

I use a Cubcadet ZTG 54" zero turn mower. 26 hp! ELECTRIC START! Hydrostatic drive! It perfectly positions my planes using a conventional tow bar strapped to the rear bumper (I could improve that a bit)
It's awesome. My wife won't let me mow the lawn anymore either. (Now THAT is a real benefit!)
I don't know what it is about Zero Turn mowers that cause wives to take over the mowing, I just go with it! :p

That?s the tug that Dave in post #3, and Reid in post #18 were talking about.

Todd,
you are correct and sorry I had missed it. For some reason I thought they were talking about Alpha which is also a nice tug but I like these better and considering it for my 14.

Winch

I too have an up hill slope to my hangar and also have to deal with a gravel taxiway and snow and ice in the winter. To simplify things I went with a winch system. I bought a winch rated at #1500 pounds from harbor freight, and added an additional 40' to the controller wire letting me steer my tow bar from the nose and run the winch at the same time. Instead of attaching to the tie down I bought a cargo strap with stirrups on both ended, harbor freight again. I attach one stirrup to each step and have a strap that goes over the top of the aircraft to hold the stirrups up and in place so the strap is pulling on the top of the step.

I can send you a picture if you are interested.

Snow-Blower Tug - Cheaper option that works

This was posted a while back http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=108484&highlight=snow+blower+tug and I decided that I needed to have one of these. I have my 10 on an incline located on a grass strip. It is Impossible to push up hill without help. I got tired of using the HF winch, it was taking to much time, besides the fact that I had to use a car battery to provide power. Any way here is my solution, using the reference above. My total cost was < $500. And it WORKS !!!
I bought the Troy-built at home depot on sale for $384.24 (including Fl tax)
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Troy-Bilt-24-in-208-cc-Two-Stage-Gas-Snow-Blower-with-Electric-Start-Self-Propelled-Storm-2410/305562533

Wz8PZrG.jpg

Hope this helps

john

That was true, I think its been resolved. We tested it late 2018 and it clearly was hitting the front fairing, they had a way of sliding in and locking in and were going to go back and make the mod. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to go out and test the new version. It does work very well.
As a follow up, I am being told by them that there should not be any issues now. I have placed an order and should be ready by the end of April. Once I try it, I will post a report. Although mine will be test it with a RV14A, I believe the nose gear/pant is the same as a 10.

Back