What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Power Primary Power System beta installation thread

cjensen

Well Known Member
Hey VAF, it's finally time to post some pics of the PPS beta systems being installed in test airplanes! You may know someone that has one...there are 10 systems out there now, and we plan a three month test phase, but we want to respect the privacy of those testing them for us so I will post updates as I get them from our testers. Please direct all questions and comments to me.

For now, the first pics of installations happening over the past weekend...one is an RV-9A, and the other is an RV-10-

DA3_zpsfdgg0t25.jpg

RB1_zpsxqpw0cqa.jpg

I expect I'll hear of initial power up reports this week, and I'll post more pics of installations as I get them.

I get pretty nervous with unprotected battery leads more than a few inches long. Usually you can put the contactor right next to the battery and eliminate most of the risk.

Where is the battery in the second installation?

Is there a remote solenoid?

Paige

There is a solenoid and battery in the back in the RV10 that isn't hooked up at the back in this pic. Condition is safe even tho it looks the other way.

First PPS first flight report!

Hey everybody, I got to try the PPS today in flight. I can report only one significant issue... There was no loud clunk (solenoid closing )when I flipped the master switch! Other than that I could tell no difference between the PPS and my old fwf electronics which is exactly what I hoped for. No surprises and everything worked as expected!

D

I am in the process of purchasing my avionics and developing my electrical schematics. I am currently designing around the VPX system and integrating it with the EFII system with their Bus Manager. I would like to see some literature about this system.

I would like to know if it will integrate into the system I am currently working on. Is there any way I can get a copy of some of the literature for review? I am willing to wait for the future release if it fits my plans.

Can one of you that has it installed share that?

Hi Paul,

The install manual is a beta manual as well, and we will be making some changes to it as we go through the test phase. We will plan to release the install manual ahead of the unit so people can review and plan, and I'm hopeful that will happen in November. I'll post a link to it as soon as it is publicly available.

The PPS will integrate with any system, VPX or not.

The same installation in the RV-10 from above, but now fully installed and powered. He reports all normal ops, but hasn't been able to fly yet due to soft runway.

More pics and info as the come in to me.

IMG_2366_zpsl6ydbeum.jpg

You will notice the alt field wire in this pic is hooked to #2. We discovered that the alt field 1 and 2 were reversed inside, so 2 is 1 and vice versa. This will be corrected.

Hi Jay,

We are about 2/3 of the way through beta testing. 8 units are flying, we should have 2, maybe 3 airplanes with a beta PPS installed flying to AirVenture next month. We've made two mods in the test period for radio noise and starter fast trip current (addressing 800+ amps inrush).

If we can get the rest of the way through testing (500 hours of flight time) by AirVenture, or at least be close, we may be able to start taking orders for them. Pricing will be set in the next couple of weeks as well and I will announce that as soon as I know, and we will put it and the install manual on the website as that time too.

Update and request for feedback...

As of AirVenture 2016, pricing and launch date (officially) has been established for the launch units. The unit will be a single battery version, no commitment has been made to produce the dual battery version at this point. Price will be $1495, and general feedback from Oshkosh on price was favorable, albeit higher than some would like to see.

The feedback I am asking for has to do with the placement of the rear mounted firewall pass through's on the back of the unit. As designed, the main buss and 25 pins connector for switching and data are on the back of the unit, requiring two holes in the firewall to be drilled. The engineering team has asked for some feedback on this, specifically from those that see this unit as a retrofit on a current system.

On a retrofit, holes will already be located, and most likely unusable with the PPS, requiring new holes and possibly plugs for existing holes. Would a minor redesign with a flat plane back, relocating the 25 pin connector to the front side (main buss out is already on the front; main buss out on the back would just be removed), thus utilizing a fire-sleeved pass through already in place to run wires through be favorable to those considering use of the PPS?

I am seeking feedback from the OEM LSA community on this as well.

Thanks all!

Man time flies!! We have an exciting announcement coming in the next VP newsletter about the PPS...I can't say exactly what that is yet, but I'll post it here when it comes out.

That being said, we are on Revision C of the Beta test program, which if I count all versions thus far, I think that is the 6th version overall. We finally have a beta product that is testing out in all aspects of the program in flight and on the test stand.

Watch for that announcement next week!

Cheers,
Chad

Back