What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Failed battery

walkman

Well Known Member
Just a quick note to anyone with a PC680.

I installed one in my -8 a couple of months ago. A couple weeks ago I removed the cowl and saw LOADS of corrosion spilling out of the battery box.

The PC680 had a cracked case. Never dropped, never over charged, not swollen or any other signs of distress. It appeared that the crack had originated at one of the case injection moulding points on the bottom and had propagated out to the left and right then up the sides of the case about 2-3".

Battery performance was just fine. Contrary to popular opinion, they will leak plenty of acid.

Also, Batteries+ almost wouldn't cover the warranty, I had to get stroppy with the young lad.

Wow, I've never been a huge fan of lithium chemistry batteries given the instability of SOME of the chemistries out there and an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude toward the PC680, but it might be time to re-think. Cleaning and neutralizing acid before it does structural harm doesn't sound like any fun at all.

Several years ago I had a car battery that shed the entire positive terminal, spilling acid all over the engine compartment. The car was new enough it was still covered by warranty, but I am still driving it and every time I open the hood I cringe at the rust and damage it caused to the frame.

Sure sorry you had this happen, Walkman. Thanks for reporting it.

Last edited:
Battery

Is "Stroppy" a real word? If Flameout got "Stroppy" with me I would be scared......

Oly

Is "Stroppy" a real word? If Flameout got "Stroppy" with me I would be scared......

Oly

strop?py
(strŏp′ē)
adj. strop?pi?er, strop?pi?est **Chiefly British**
Easily offended or annoyed; ill-tempered or belligerent.

It seems that the length of the spacers on the battery hold-down are critical (at least for my 9A application). Too much clamping force can distort the case. Too little and the battery moves around...not good either.

Cleaning and neutralizing acid before it does structural harm doesn't sound like any fun at all.

Not too bad. Lots of baking soda and water, had to use a screwdriver to break up some in the tray, most of the rest just scrubbed in baking soda/water over and over until no bubbling, them lots of fresh water.

Oly

:-D

It seems that the length of the spacers on the battery hold-down are critical (at least for my 9A application). Too much clamping force can distort the case. Too little and the battery moves around...not good either.

I just snug it down and then try to wiggle the battery. I don't crank down hard on it.

odyssey battery facts 'n fiction

I bought a PC925 as it was the same weight and size as my old Concorde, with more rated crank....but I had to mount it sideways, which is an approved installation.
I was told these AGM, absorbed glass mat, have very little acid, thus allowing the flexibility of install without the acid getting near the vents!
(Not sure how the LiPO compare in chemistry & venting needs.)

MY 'box' is really a tray, with a clamp, some rubber hose in the clamp, but it's pretty solid. Turns out the heat in the engine room warped the cheap plastic lid, which holds the vent caps ON!
no acid lost, no apparent effect on the battery, no cautions from the dealer.

but these cracked case stories make me ponder why they offer one with a metal case....are the stock ones just not up to it?
If these are used in Quads and jet-skis, I can't see our use being nearly as harsh.

Where Manufactured?

Makes me wonder where the PC 680 is manufactured and if in America where the components are coming from. Seems to me that almost anything made is China fails faster than anticipated.

but these cracked case stories make me ponder why they offer one with a metal case....are the stock ones just not up to it?
If these are used in Quads and jet-skis, I can't see our use being nearly as harsh.

Do they offer a metal case unit?

Never seen an option for that. I know they do offer a metal mounting sleeve/case similar to the one that Van's sells but that one is just a jacket that the plastic case battery slides into for mounting.

Back