What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AVGAS or MOGAS poll

AVGAS or MOGAS

• AVGAS only -low compression engine

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • AVGAS only - high compression engine

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • MOGAS only - low compression engine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MOGAS only - high compression engine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AV/MO combination - low compression engine

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • AV/MO combination - high compression engine

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Considering MOGAS - low compression engine

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Considering MOGAS - high compression engine

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters

Build9A

Well Known Member
I thought it might be interesting to see what folks are using in their lycomings or lycoming clones? So here's a poll.

Last edited:
I agree with Roberta. Mogas just stinks.
Years ago I flew jumpers in a 182. The owner got the STC and started using Mogas. After awhile the airplane smelled like an old truck. I'd get carb ice during the climb also.

Airplanes should smell like airplanes.

Mark

I burned car gas for years and never really had much problem. In fact, I used it in an o-235 and it ran better since my lead fouling problems went away. You do have to be aware of the possibility of vapor lock in some cases and need to address that. As far as odor is concerned, i noticed that some Mogas smells worse than others so you can minimize or eliminate that problem by trying different brands. I used to like Amoco, but it's not available here...Diamond Shamrock seems to have a lower stink factor than others. For higher compression engines, I just use 100LL.

This topic is almost as hotly debated as the primer issue...

For what it's worth, here is a link to some information provided by Petersen Aviation. They are the folks who sell auto gas STC for type-certificated aircraft.

http://www.webworksltd.com/autofuelstc/pa/LeadD-4814.html#anchor749413

BTW, I plan on running Auto Gas in my O-200 in the Midget Mustang, but will use 100LL for my 200hp Lycoming I'm currently planning on for my RV-8.... That is, if internal combustion engines are still in vogue by the time I finish my RV-8!

Rod Woodard
KFNL

With 100LL getting phased out...Im choosing my engine with mogas in mind. I know lots of people running it in 150-180 HP lycomings and even detuned 200 360's. Haven't heard of any real complaints. Especially with 100LL priced the way it is. I'm probably the thriftiest RV builder out there.

Back