What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder bottom fairing on taildragger

Arablenz

Hi, final fitting my rudder and have run into an issue trying to fit the bottom fairing. I had modified it as per plans to clear tail Spring and thought I had that right but how ever I try it won't slide into place while the rudder is on aircraft. It would fit if I installed with rudder off the aircraft. Has anyone else had this problem or have I done something wrong?
Thanks

I do

Mine has to be installed with the rudder off the airplane. Fortunately taking the rudder off and back on is pretty easy.

Or

Or you separate the front and back part and made a 2 piece fairing. You're correct though - you can't install it while rudder is on the airplane. A pain if you have wiring/light there.

I thought is was something I had done wrong. Thanks for the replies. It's all most a Gothcha moment as the plans make it sound like it should fit given what they tell you to do with the tail light wiring. Frustrating though.

Still tearing my hair out on this rudder issue. How the h.ll do you get to follow the instructions in section 11 when the wiring has to be threaded through with the bottom fairing attached? ( sorry for the rant but between trying to connect the Molex junior connectors for the tail light and this issue I feel like I have hit a low in my build.)
How much clearance do others have between the bottom of the rudder fairing and the tail Spring?

Back