What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AeroLEDS problems installing

fr0gpil0t

Well Known Member
Sometimes the simplest things become the most challenging. I have the optional light kit. The position lights are mounted to add on fiberglass pieces. There is a small metal mount which is screwed to the fiberglass. Then the lights slide onto the metal mount and a set screw added.

I couldn't get the lights to slide onto the mounting bracket so spoke with AeroLEDS (great service and really helpful). They explained the lights are machined flat to a few thousands but the fiberglass is not really flat. So suggested I loosen the screws and slide on the lights. The lights will tighten the bracket against the fiberglass.

I've had moderate success with this. Unfortunately to make it work I had to loosen the screws a lot so the bracket is too loose after the lights are installed. I also tried adding a thin washer between the bracket and fiberglass. This works in that you can easily slide the lights on but it doesn't really feel like a tight fit.

Any ideas here please ?

Robert

Last edited:
My aeroleds went together nicely but I do remember it was a little fiddly to get the mounting done. I may have installed the lights on the bracket off the plane first to make sure I could do it.

One thing for sure, if you get a chance go to their factory - showroom. It will be worth your trip! Trust me on that one.

Sometimes the simplest things become the most challenging. I have the optional light kit. The position lights are mounted to add on fiberglass pieces. There is a small metal mount which is screwed to the fiberglass. Then the lights slide onto the metal mount and a set screw added.

I couldn't get the lights to slide onto the mounting bracket so spoke with AeroLEDS (great service and really helpful). They explained the lights are machined flat to a few thousands but the fiberglass is not really flat. So suggested I loosen the screws and slide on the lights. The lights will tighten the bracket against the fiberglass.

I've had moderate success with this. Unfortunately to make it work I had to loosen the screws a lot so the bracket is too loose after the lights are installed. I also tried adding a thin washer between the bracket and fiberglass. This works in that you can easily slide the lights on but it doesn't really feel like a tight fit.

Any ideas here please ?

Robert

I had the same issue and when checking dimensions it was not the fiberglass flatness as my issue, I made a small aluminum plate with an appropriate thickness and it solved the problem. While there may be a clearance to the mounting surface, it is minimal and the lights are snug/secure, not loose after the set screw is set. BTW that is a metric setscrew, so have an extra for your travel kit.

I couldn't bring myself to file on the beautiful light housing.

Last edited:

Any ideas here please ?

Robert
I went the thin washer route and it worked pretty good for me.

I had the same problem. The metal plates fit fine on the lights.. but once the plates were mounted to the fiberglass tips, the lights wouldn't want to slide onto the plates.

I believe i sanded down the fiberglass just a hair so that the mounts and the lights had a nice flat surface. But before you do that, on one of my lights, I had luck with putting a little grease on the metal plate's 3 prongs that latch into the light. The interference was so minor that with the grease, I was able to manhandle it on.

Back