What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Loose/Floppy Canopy Handle

JFCRV12

Well Known Member
Something's been nagging me enough I thought I'd check with the brain trust.

My canopy handle is a bit floppy. It secures the canopy really snug when locked or in the 'detent' mode for taxi airflow. But when I just lower canopy and leave it without locking it, it's really floppy/loose. It's to the point where gravity will have it flop down just enough that it catches the lock block so that I need to get on wing, move handle so I can lift canopy to open and get in.

Any way to snug this up?

Thanks

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. To be clear, you're talking about pinching the canopy frame tube that the latch handle inserts up into... Net, nothing comes apart. I just squeeze the bottom a bit with vice grips and then done.

The RV-12 KAI has specific instructions in the canopy install section on how to adjust the friction of the canopy handle.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. To be clear, you're talking about pinching the canopy frame tube that the latch handle inserts up into... Net, nothing comes apart. I just squeeze the bottom a bit with vice grips and then done.

You have to remove the canopy handle first. Refer to the RV-12 KAI.

Yup - found it. Thanks! I am not original builder so needed to dig and didn't realize there's directions for that. Thanks!

I used two small magnets to fix that problem, one mounted on the canopy frame and one mounted on the handle. When the handle is in the open position the magnets align, pulls the handle up a bit and stops it from flopping around when you close the canopy. Easy to overcome when you pull down to close & lock the canopy.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

I had about 1/16 inch gap between to bushing and the tube at the bottom of the handle. Instead of pinching the tube, I just used a 1/2 inch inner diameter “wavey washer” (spring washer). Keep just enough pressure on the handle to keep it from freely rotating.

If you order the new canopy handle kit to update to the RV-12is style that 1/2” wavy washer is in the kit, no mention in the instructions what to do with it but I figured it out, handle kit is a big upgrade in my opinion, but that’s another story, that 1/2” wavy washer is the best way to fix that floppy handle.
Stan

When mine got loose I put the handle shaft on an anvil and smacked it with a hammer to ovalize it and get an interference fit. Oddly satisfying when the cave man approach works!😎

We adjusted our canopy handles a few times due to the floppiness. It was really annoying for me to have it latch, since i'm too short to be able to open it without climbing up on the wing.
I finally attached the magnet to just give it enough attraction to keep it in the open position. It has worked great.

Back