What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

screwed

HansLab

Well Known Member
all,
tired of having ordered the wrong type of screws again I ask you for your help.
I just can' t get used to US metrics, so it seems ;-(

What is the size of the phillips screws the avionics panel is mounted with on the top-side, please?
(meaning the inside panel, where the avionics is attached to)

Last edited:
looking for this?

The screws around the panel are #6 countersunk in a genuie RV-12iS. In my case non countersunk.

Also, you can find a thread here at VAF with a source für nice stainless screws with Torx drive and 100deg coutersunk. They are great but shipping is more expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_20210504_191723.jpg
    IMG_20210504_191723.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 164
MGL?

hey MajorTom that looks an MGL iEFIS, with Personal Screen?
I have two Challengers, and some work to do in understanding: is it ok with you to share mail addresses for some reference please?

Attachments

• inflight.jpg
    inflight.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 86
Yes, this is MGL Chalenger lite with coustom screens. You can't have an 912iS engine without. There is a 912iS RDAC module of course, but the engine parameters (fuel flow, fuel pres. Map....) will not show on any of the standard screens. There is a screen designer to make or modify screens. But it is very dificoult to use. It took me more than 100 hours to learn and make 2 screen to my liking. You know, what i will do the next time? I will work 100 hour more at office and by an complete Avionic Kit from VANs. In the end it is the same money but less trouble, greater resale value and much less cursing and bad language.

I replaced the original instrument panel screws with MS35206-228 Steel Pan
Head Phillips Screws, 6-32 Thread Size, 3/8" Long. The pan head is much more
resistant to stripping out with a Philips screwdriver than the original screws.

Not sure if there are other thread standards for #6 screws, but our planes use 6-32 with 32 threads per inch. That bit me once buying some 1/4” hardware. I ended up with coarse threads and needed fine threads.

I used black AN515B6R8 PHILLIPS screw from aircraft spruce

(the same screws are used for the rest of the panel)
42C-11a.JPG

I keep about 100 of the more common #6 and #8 screws as bench spares. Seems like I always toss a few every annual due to buggered up threads or heads. That’s not counting the ones I lose. I’d hate to be dead in the water waiting on an Aircraft Spruce package.

Back