What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 Fuel Pump

rkiefer2

Well Known Member
Does the RV12ULS electric fuel pump stay on the whole time?

This factory plane doesn't have a switch for it....and its always running.

Correct. Always on with Master Switch. Safety Feature - do not change operation of electric fuel pump.

fuel pump switch

I put a switch on the fuel pump on my aircraft based on generalized Rotax advice that turned out to be inappropriate for the tank location on the RV-12. So the pump is always on when in flight.

But it is nice to be able to switch it off and not have to listen to the pump chattering away when I have the master on in order to fiddle with the avionics.

I put a switch on the fuel pump on my aircraft based on generalized Rotax advice that turned out to be inappropriate for the tank location on the RV-12. So the pump is always on when in flight.

But it is nice to be able to switch it off and not have to listen to the pump chattering away when I have the master on in order to fiddle with the avionics.

You may want to consider to pull the pump fuse when working on your avionics.

Something that never seems to be mentioned is emergency procedures too.. There are several emergency check list procedures that involve "pulling the fuse". I like the idea of flipping a switch instead.. Different strokes for different folks..

Had we known how loud it was we would have put a switch in the line, but after it was all installed - too complex.

We cut up an old yellow Bic pen and glued a length onto the fuse. A short loop of pink mason line and hang it on the panel until you are ready to start.

Once running, it doesn't matter as most cars have their pump running all the time and the engine noise drowns it out.

Salted popcorn and a nice craft IPA please...... ;)

I recently installed the upgraded pump and also added a pump switch and custom labeled bezel and also better marking for the fuel valve.

Attachments

• 8BE3E5CD-E44D-4EDB-B5D7-32E0F030A29D.jpeg
    8BE3E5CD-E44D-4EDB-B5D7-32E0F030A29D.jpeg
    862.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 1A8D1ADA-54DF-4103-812F-E6B18DAC9310.jpeg
    1A8D1ADA-54DF-4103-812F-E6B18DAC9310.jpeg
    778 KB · Views: 183
I like it.. Where did you get the switch and bezel? Nice work..

I’m based in Florida @ FD04 Leeward Air Ranch, we have guy here that can make any bezel you want, just provide the exact sizing, Jan Zysko, he is building an RV-12, I actually bought my switch at a Honda shop, Jan’s number is 321-431-6910.

Back