What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Switching Power Supply for Testing Electronics

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am planning on using a 30 amp Mighty Mite switching power supply to power my avionics when sorting everything initially and later when troubleshooting is inevitably needed.

I know some folks have done this, because that's where I got the idea.

Ideally, a pigtail could be installed in the wire harness so that the battery could be disconnected with a switch and the power supply could take it's place.

If anybody has done something like this, I would like to use your ideas/cleverness/innovation in my system instead of reinventing it.

No need to disconnect the battery, let it ride on the power supply just like it rides on the alternator. Your battery will be happy.

Just use a jumper to your main buss with aa ~20 amp switch breaker. You can have the battery on line if you like (master shut) or leave it off (master open).

Carl

You may want to consider wiring the 30-A power supply in as external power feature/connector with its own battery contactor. I wired mine using a standard external power connector with the idea of being able to plug in a GPU/Battery at an FBO when away from home base if needed. You can go with the Piper single pole style or Cessna 3-pin style that is common. If you are going to do external power engine starts, make sure the contactor and wiring are sized to handle the current. I have an External Power On/Off switch on the panel with a LED light that indicates external power is available.

I am running a pair of Earth-X batteries with separate contactors that remain isolated if I turn on the external power and leave the master switch off. If the batteries need charging I use the LiPO specific battery charger.

My external PS is adjusted for 13.6 volts, that was mainly to make sure the Dynon SV-D1000 recharges the Dynon backup battery anytime I am running the electronics on ground power.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Just me

When I wired my panel, i used one fuse holder for a 30 amp fuse that i wired to two banana plugs under the panel.( one plug is ground) I bought an old HP lab power supply for $25 at a swap meet. So i just plug the power supply in and set the coltage to 13 v. No need to turn the master on. I leave the master and alt field switch off so I dont stress the Alt stuff.

Back