What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data plate location

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Nearing the end now, and one of things that I find truly exciting in a weird way is that I get to (finally) put the data plate on the fuselage. I don't have the empennage mounted (it's all at the hangar), so...whereabouts are you guys putting the data plates on your planes under the HS?

I want it to look good, be relatively inconspicuous but still legal...

TIA,

Steve

I put mine here.

181197_10150988529959120_443981352_n.jpg

I sorta regret where i located mine - directly beneath the center of the HS. I have seen one too many people bending down to read it. I fear someone may hurt their back or pop up and hit their head on the HS!

I think more forward like where Bob has is might be a reasonable compromise. Someone can read it without having to get under the HS.

Jae

data plate

Locate just like Bob showed in the 2nd post with his photo. Under the left horizontal stabilizer is where many certified aircraft locate theirs, so it is about as standard as you can get.

i saw one mounted inside the cockpit in view from outside. that was a first.

On a newly constructed aircraft the floorboard inside the aircraft is not an acceptable location for the data plate. It must be on the outside of the aircraft. Only aircraft originally manufactured before March 7th of 1988 are allowed to have the identification plate (aka "data plate") inside the cabin or cockpit.

** Lifted from another thread but what I also remember from A&P school

AC45-2a also has some clarifications but 45.11 is pretty open to a specific spot. Given tail configurations it would have to be.

Data Plate Question-Serial No.?

What are people using for the serial No.? Kit #, the number etched on the wing spar?

And Manufactured date? It is nearing completion, but it has been 7.75 years in the making, so should I use the one date that I expect to get my inspection?

Hank AKA
RV10 Soon

What are people using for the serial No.? Kit #, the number etched on the wing spar?

And Manufactured date? It is nearing completion, but it has been 7.75 years in the making, so should I use the one date that I expect to get my inspection?

Hank AKA
RV10 Soon

Not needed - from 45.13

(1) Builder's name.
(2) Model designation.
(3) Builder's serial number.
(4) Type certificate number, if any.
(5) Production certificate number, if any.

We only need the first three items on the data plate. The ID plates with more data hark back to the pre-drug changes to the FARs...:)

Hank AKA
RV10 Soon

Serial number can be any number not already assigned to an aircraft of the same make & model. (Remember, "Make" is the builder.)

Manufacture date is not required. If you want to include a date most people use the month and year they expect certification.
Officially the date of manufacture is the date of certification.

Serial Number

Serial number can be any number not already assigned to an aircraft of the same make & model. (Remember, "Make" is the builder.)

Manufacture date is not required. If you want to include a date most people use the month and year they expect certification.
Officially the date of manufacture is the date of certification.

Serial Number is your Van's Builder number they assigned to you when you bought your tail kit.

Serial Number is your Van's Builder number they assigned to you when you bought your tail kit.

Nope. Serial "number" is whatever alphanumeric string the builder wants to put down.

Mine is #001, which is most certainly not the Van's builder number for my 7A :)

The FAA suggests that you use the kit number but it is not a requirement.

Serial Number

Nope. Serial "number" is whatever alphanumeric string the builder wants to put down.

Mine is #001, which is most certainly not the Van's builder number for my 7A :)

In order to get the Bill of Sale from Vans for the FAA registration, Van's forms requested information including serial number and they state the serial number is my builder number.

I suppose there is a different process if you want to make up your own number. But how do you know the number you make up is unique for an RV-7A?

Just received my FAA registration yesterday.

But how do you know the number you make up is unique for an RV-7A?

It doesn't have to be unique to the Model #, it has to be unique to the manufacturer.
Since you are the manufacturer, as long as you don't build two airplanes and designate the same serial # for both, you can make it anything you want.

In order to get the Bill of Sale from Vans for the FAA registration, Van's forms requested information including serial number and they state the serial number is my builder number.

I suppose there is a different process if you want to make up your own number. But how do you know the number you make up is unique for an RV-7A?

Just received my FAA registration yesterday.

The BOS form is not really well suited for kits, and the data in it from Van's is kind of "squeezed in" to the form in some sense.

The word "Aircraft" at the top ("Aircraft Bill of Sale") is blacked out, and the word "Kit" is stamped next to it. The Aircraft Manufacturer and Model field just says "RV-7A". Clearly, the FAA never designed this form with kits in mind.

That said, as has been pointed out many, many times here (and in other places...check EAA), what you put on your 8050-1 *for a newly built kit* has nothing to do with Van's builder number. You can use a serial number like X32Z68R-00A7 if you want.

A lot of people do use their builder number/kit number, but a lot don't.

It doesn't have to be unique to the Model #, it has to be unique to the manufacturer.
Since you are the manufacturer, as long as you don't build two airplanes and designate the same serial # for both, you can make it anything you want.

Hmmm...I wonder if you can build two different *models* and use the same serial number for both.

E.g., RV-7 #001 and RV-8 #001?

Is the non-duplication applicable to manufacturer as a whole, or by model (or for type-certified planes, by type)?

Back